Boot Issue with 7i96E - SOLVED

More
12 Jul 2019 23:07 - 14 Jul 2019 15:27 #139218 by Project_Hopeless
So I made a fresh install with...

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/index.htm

Strech RT-Prempt and v2.8 which actually pulled a version of 2.9. Everything on the PC side ran fine up until I changed NIC setting to run the 7i96E.

Now I have to boot the PC with the network cable disconnected and the 7i96E powered down. Once the PC gets past the POST and the OS starts to load I can plug in the 7i96E and power up; connect and everything works fine again, LinuxCNC loads and I can run the machine.

If I don't follow that order the PC will sometimes re-boot 3x then come up and I can never connect to the 7i96E. Other times it re-boots endlessly as if it was having a bios error or a memory failure. I doubt that is it because those would normally generate a error/beep code, and I'm not getting those.

What do you think?
Last edit: 14 Jul 2019 15:27 by Project_Hopeless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2019 23:12 #139219 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Boot Issue with 7i96E
Pretty weird
Are you sure you don't have some boot from LAN option enabled in the BIOS?

More
13 Jul 2019 07:23 #139238 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Boot Issue with 7i96E
that happend also to me on the 7i92
as of update to 2.9 master brunch
a crone job has been started as the mesa seams to firer bevor the boot
and the bios intersepts only on PC that where made for NETuse in satalite mode
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheFabricatorAG

More
13 Jul 2019 11:01 #139241 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Boot Issue with 7i96E
The waiting during boot is normal if you have DHCP enabled and no connection, but reboots are not normal and usually point to hardware problems, mostly a failling hard drive or power supply failure.
Another reason for hanging during boot is the wrong UUID during installation if another drive was present or pointing to a swap space that is not there anymore. That can be easily fixed by changing the UUID in the /etc/fstab.
Later i will try to find a thread on how to configure the network for use with mesa cards.

More
13 Jul 2019 13:11 #139250 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Boot Issue with 7i96E
This is valid for all Linux versions that use network manager, like Debian wheezy or jessie or stretch, ubuntu, linux mint etc.

====Network setup for mesa cards: ======
- left click on the network manager on the bottom right side or upper right side where the clock and volume is.
- choose "edit connections"
- double click on the network you want to edit ( usually "wired connection X")
- click on the "IPv4 settings" tab
- choose "manual" on the "method" drop down menu
- click on "add"
- write the address as 10.10.10.2 up to 10.10.10.9 ( never 10.10.10.1 or 10.10.10.10 ), or anything from 11 to 254
- netmask should be set as 24 or 255.255.255.0
- gateway should always be 10.10.10.1
- additional DNS servers should be 10.10.10.1
Save, close, left click on the network manager and click on the "wired connection X", it should take about 3 seconds to reconnect. Now open a terminal and do Ping 10.10.10.10, you should get normal reply form the Mesa card. If you do not get a reply, double check your settings.

>>> If you want to use another connection or a wireless connection for internet, you have to set up everything as above, set up internet, and ONLY after having internet working edit the wired connection X going to Mesa card again as follows:
- network manager>edit connections>wired connection X>IPv4 settings> ROUTES > just click on the "use this connection only for resources on its network"> OK>save>network manager>reconnect to that network.

More
13 Jul 2019 13:50 #139254 by Project_Hopeless
Well it dawns on me I had a BIOS error a while back and when I re-seated the battery it must have reset back to factor default. I had to disable wake on LAN, hyper threading etc.all over again.

I think I'm good now but just to be sure I'm bookmarking this tread for future reference. Some good stuff here!

More
14 Jul 2019 07:15 #139287 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Boot Issue with 7i96E
Happy to hear
can you please MARK the Tread as Solved
THANK you and nice workings on the system

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds