Best steps to take

More
16 Sep 2019 06:32 #145316 by Scot
Best steps to take was created by Scot
Hello folks,

I'm about 90% finished wiring up a retrofit of an old Hardinge DV59 lathe. I'm using Jon Elson's PWM controller and brushless servo amps and I'm almost ready to do the install and begin to configure it.

What I'm hoping to find out is a basic idea of the steps I should take once I'm finished doing the hardware side and I have a functioning version of LinuxCNC running. I know I'm going to have to edit some files, I'm just not sure if there is an order and total number of all the files I'm going to have to edit.

Any help with a basic step-by-step process to get this retrofit complete, would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,

Scot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2019 11:11 #145319 by Dinuka_Shehan
Replied by Dinuka_Shehan on topic Best steps to take
I also very interested on this steps.
PCW and andy pugh will help us.

More
16 Sep 2019 12:18 - 16 Sep 2019 12:19 #145320 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Best steps to take

Hello folks,

I'm about 90% finished wiring up a retrofit of an old Hardinge DV59 lathe. I'm using Jon Elson's PWM controller and brushless servo amps and I'm almost ready to do the install and begin to configure it.

What I'm hoping to find out is a basic idea of the steps I should take once I'm finished doing the hardware side and I have a functioning version of LinuxCNC running. I know I'm going to have to edit some files, I'm just not sure if there is an order and total number of all the files I'm going to have to edit.

Any help with a basic step-by-step process to get this retrofit complete, would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,

Scot

The first thing I would do is as follows.

With linuxcnc running, activate the e-stop. Then move the axis one at a time and check to make sure the encoders are tracking properly and in the right direction. If not when you enable the drives, you could get a servo runaway.

Also, make sure your limit switches are working properly in case.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2019 12:19 by bevins.

More
16 Sep 2019 16:08 #145329 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Best steps to take
I think with a numbered list of things to do when configuring the software end of the system it will really help. So far, below, Bevins seems to be giving a great start. I've read about the runaway problem, too.

More
16 Sep 2019 16:34 - 16 Sep 2019 16:36 #145330 by bevins
The list of things to check would change drastically between different people.

Fo example the first thing I do after powerup make sure the mesa boards load. (I only use mesa), so this would change depending on what was used.

I then without motor drives even connected is make sure inputs and outputs are working. without this, there's no use in connecting drives. I use Hal Show, HAL configuration.

Then I connect drives and motors and power up to check encoders.

This will all change depending on people and machine......, new machine or retrofit etc....... but its important to understand the system and tackle it in pieces.

Just my .02 cents
Last edit: 16 Sep 2019 16:36 by bevins.

More
16 Sep 2019 16:37 #145331 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Best steps to take
BTW, thanks Bevins. But I'm curious. Should I start the program with the estop button depressed? If I do this, wouldn't it eliminate the problem with a runaway servo until the button was returned to it's undepressed position?

Thanks again,

Scot

More
16 Sep 2019 16:49 #145332 by bevins

BTW, thanks Bevins. But I'm curious. Should I start the program with the estop button depressed? If I do this, wouldn't it eliminate the problem with a runaway servo until the button was returned to it's undepressed position?

Thanks again,

Scot

You wont get runaway unless you enable the drives, usually done when machine button is turned on, not when estop is reset.

More
17 Sep 2019 21:47 #145451 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Best steps to take
I would probably start up with the motors decoupled from the screws to make sure that they are under some sort of control. (but be aware that PID tuning unconnected motors is difficult)

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds