Debian install DVD ISO images not working due to CD-ROM bug in installer

More
02 Oct 2019 03:59 #146850 by pmconsulting
Although LinuxCNC proudly distributes its installers in both DVD and exciting, new Blu Ray images, burning any of these to a USB stick will not permit install because the installer is too stupid to know that it has all the files it needs right there on the USB stick.

During the install, the installer asks me to insert a CD-ROM in order to continue installation. One among many life-sapping examples of why this process is badly designed, poorly implemented and should be fixed before subjecting a single user to this nonsense.

Does anyone have a work-around or secret trick to get what should be a simple process to actually process?

I am so aggravated that I even have to ask something like this!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2019 07:17 #146861 by HueyHQ
I'm no expert here, but if you want to use a USB (and not a DVD), then download the ISO image, and use a disk imaging program like Rufus, or dd for Linux command line, to image to USB.

Alternatively to downloading, rip an ISO from the disc, then image to USB as above.

Trawling through the forums, I have learnt there are many ways to skin this cat, but my first suggestion was what I did when I first started.

If you want to get a later version than 2.7.14, I suggest going to gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/index.html and choose one of the options there (which is what I ended up doing.)

Hope that helps, and I haven't misinterpretated your issue.

More
02 Oct 2019 08:27 #146863 by pmconsulting
I've followed those instructions and have a bootable usb stick that I am able to run and start the installation process.

After I pick location & language, the installer then prompts for the CD-ROM that contains parts of the installation. I don't have CD's, just the image I've burned to the USB and which should already have whatever files it needs.

I have no idea how to get around this roadblock.

More
02 Oct 2019 08:33 #146864 by pl7i92
where are you installing to
as the Simulation or the liveISO runs ther might be a problem on the Base Hardware
did you check with gparted its on the liveiso if there is a parition mounted that is hining it

no one else reported this and there are hundreds of simular installs a week

More
02 Oct 2019 15:27 #146877 by pmconsulting
My PC is haunted! I have an existing, dual boot system that uses GRUB loader. One drive boots to Windows 10 successfully and the other drive has already been booting to Debian Stretch & LinuxCNC.

Then I tried to add an nVidia GTX 1050Ti card to the PC. The Windows drive has no issues. The Linux drive will produce video through the card but at only one, low resolution. Any attempts to install any nVidia driver following a wide variety of different instructions have all ended up at a flashing cursor and no X window server running.

The first time it happened I was able to reinstall the standard X window system and get the Linux drive back to its original operation. But after trying again, I am unable to get X-Windows running.

At this point I thought I would back up my home directory and reinstall LinuxCNC to see if the installer would recognize the nVidia card and add the proper drivers and configuration during a clean install. But, every time I run the installer, it immediately asks for the CD-ROM media.

Maybe I should be looking for a firmware update for the PC or something as this unit - an HP 6300 SFF (small form factor) sure seems to have some issues.

But whatever those issue are, why the installer doesn't recognize what drive it's running from and that all of the files for installation are already in that location blows my mind. However the installer script is written, it fails to do this simple thing and only tells me that no CD-ROM was found.

It seems that there ought to be a fix for that.

More
02 Oct 2019 18:31 #146885 by tommylight
Did you ever check the md5sum or sha256 for the downloaded image ? That is a must.
The graphics card issue:
I do admire your persistance but
If you read anything regarding real time kernels and Nvidia, you will inadvertantly bump into a lot of articles explaining why using proprietary Nvidia drivers on such systems is a no no. It will mess up latency, badly, in some cases making it useless for controlling an actual machine.
Use Noveau drivers that come preinstalled with Linux, they do work perfectly well if you do not need the full graphics 3D potential.
This is not a Linux ( or Linuxcnc ) issue, it is an Nvidia issue due to a lot of power saving options in the hardware and changing the core and memory clocks on the go, same goes for AMD but less noticeable, not because they are better but because they tend to not comply to some rules and standards resulting in more power usage for the same work, and for our use a bit less flaky for use with Linuxcnc.

Do not take this as advice to go buy an AMD card, the RX480 and RX580 will leave you remembering that GTX1050 you already have.

Side note, at any given time i have at least 10 PC's that i work/experiment with ( laptops and desktops ), i tend to install almost all of them at 2 to 4 month intervals, even two of my laptops have Nvidia cards in them, and i remember only once having issues when installing Nvidia drivers since Ubuntu 8.04 came out 11 years ago.
As i write this, something else comes to mind, are you sure that is a real Nvidia card and not some counterfeit chinese one ? Plenty of those on the market.

More
02 Oct 2019 18:40 #146886 by pmconsulting
The iso image has been checksummed but I don't know how that would affect the fact that the installer is not recognizing it's own media location. How many images have you encountered that have failed md5 or sha? Seems like a weird angle for Russia to try to throw an election.

Latency is not an issue as I am using 2 Mesa 7i96 cards connected via ethernet. I really don't care where the drivers come from - all I would like ito do is increase resolution on the monitors. The default max resolution for linuxcnc's installers in way too low for my monitors.

The card is legit & not a knockoff as I've fully and successfully tested it using the Windows 10 drive that this system dual boots, along with linux.

With your experience, am I better off continuing to search for a working nVidia driver? Do those even exist for Debian 9 Stretch? Or would it make more sense to backup my home directory and reinstall a new, latest version of LinuxCNC with the nVidia card installed for the installer to discover?

One other issue - do you think that the Grub loader might be interfering with the installer? The installer doesn't even make it to the point of choosing the install partition. The CD-ROM requests comes first. Perhaps the live iso would be a better option for install.

More
02 Oct 2019 19:17 #146890 by tommylight
Forgot to mention, disable UEFI, if the PC has it.
Backup your config, install Linux Mint and forget the headache. It has a driver manager so it will automatically recommend and install them.
With eth cards, it might work or it might not, that you will have to check. On a gaming PC ( i do not game ) i did make it work easily with Nvidia 1060/6GB and with an RX 580/8GB, the only issue was that after the first restart with the RX580 i got a black screen, restarted again and it worked properly with 4X 24" monitors turned verticaly with a resolution of 4800X1920.

More
03 Oct 2019 03:03 #146941 by pmconsulting
Not that's what I'm talking about!! I boot from the Linux Live ISO burned to USB & it fills both monitors connected to the nVidia card at the correct resolutions. You just saved me weeks of reading. Mint it is! If the installer boot can figure all that out, I imagine it will probably be able to put an OS on this disk.

Thank you so much for the suggestion!

More
24 Oct 2020 07:58 - 24 Oct 2020 09:46 #187073 by whatwasIthinking
Appreciate this is an old thread, but I had the same problem so have included my agricultural work around in case others have similar.

Just after the installer stalls and cannot find the "CD", remove the USB (yes - not ideal) and insert in an alternative USB port. In my case the installer then prompted to install drivers, throws an error, but finds files and continues the install process successfully.

Hope this helps.
Cheers Pete
Last edit: 24 Oct 2020 09:46 by whatwasIthinking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, ktm950adv, Paedy, froglemort@harbaskin.com, somuchforfree, phomann

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds