CNC manual combo machine

More
23 Dec 2019 14:09 #153103 by xr4x4ti
Hello,

I currently have a early 90's vintage Bridgeport mill with a Prototrak Plus control. The control is still fully functional, but is a bit cumbersome to use and more importantly does not EASILY allow the use of a Fusion 360 or another cam software. I am looking to upgrade.

I have used a newer Prototrak machine at work and that is why I purchased this unit, but the older version is just a bit to archaic. But, it was the right price, already has ball screws, DC Brush servo motors, motor encoders, etc.

My basic question and what is critical to me is I want to have a more modern control, but I want to keep what is so great about a Prototrak control, I want to still be able to use the machine in manual mode and switch back and force between CNC and manual mode on the fly. For example, run a canned cycle, move the x and y axis by hand, and run another canned cycle.

Basically can Linuxcnc be used as a DRO? If I move the table manually, will the DRO in the software update position? Or, does it only know what is going on when it is driving the motors?

I think I would like to add glass scales to all three axis and have both rotary encoder and linear feedback. I have already found threads that show that is possible. But, I have not seen anything that suggests that if I move the machine manually that the software will keep track of it?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2019 16:24 #153116 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic CNC manual combo machine
If your encoders are connected into the control boards linuxcnc is using then yes you can use it as a DRO.
When encoders are connected to control boards with linuxcnc, you can push the axis by hand and the dro will work.

More
04 Jan 2020 18:28 #154008 by MarkD2
Replied by MarkD2 on topic CNC manual combo machine
How is the retrofit going? I would be very interested in your progress.
MarkD

More
04 Jan 2020 23:22 #154045 by xr4x4ti
Replied by xr4x4ti on topic CNC manual combo machine
I am still in the research phase. I am not even sure what system to go with yet. That is why I was asking the questions on here. I am currently leaning towards a different platform, not Linuxcnc.

Do you have a Prototrak too? If you do, we should exchange ideas. PM me.

Tim

More
08 Jan 2020 22:19 #154354 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic CNC manual combo machine
To answer the original question, if you touch-off X and Y to zero at the new position then run the cycle, it will run in the new position.

Alternatively, if the cycle is coded using incremental coordinates, it will run wherever you put the machine.

In practice you might find it easier to G0 / jog to the required position than to locate by hand, but if you turn linuxCNC off then mve the axes by hand, LinuxCNC will report the position and not try to fight it.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds