Filter tripping the RCD

More
05 Apr 2020 02:08 #162738 by Hytek
Hey all, figured this problem deserves it's own thread.

I am currently wiring up the control panel for my mill on the bench. In adhering to DMM's wiring schematics I have a fair amount of line filters. For no apparent reason one of the 10A filters has started to trip the RCD in the main power board to my shed. All was working fine previously, this problem just came about from one day to the next. The filter I am currently using for the servo drive's main supply is a SCHAFFNER AX-FIM1010-SE-V1 (one for each drive).

Any help is much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2020 22:28 #162807 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Filter tripping the RCD
What is RCD ?
If you mean the GFI, or ground fault interrupter, did you test it without the filter ?
Usually that is a sure sign of miss wiring, in Europe that can be caused by a simple wiring of neutral to ground, or there is something else more serious tripping it.
Disconnect everything after the GFI and leave the filter, see if it trips with just the filter.

More
06 Apr 2020 02:43 #162833 by Hytek
Replied by Hytek on topic Filter tripping the RCD
I figured there might be different terminologies in other countries, should have put more effort into my first post. In Australia it's a Residual Current Device (see pic.) This is located in the main power box in my shed.

I have been over the wiring a number times since the problem arose. Main thing is it worked fine previously and is an issue that came about overnight. This leads me to think it may be a product (filter) failure. Of the 3 filters currently installed in the system it's only 1 that trips the RCD. Are there better filter units available without breaking my bank maybe?

I was informed by a friend that I can rewire the power point that runs the mill to bypass the RCD. For me, this would be a last resort as I figure the RCD is there for a reason. Most likely to stop me burning my shed down or electrocuting myself.

Attachments:

More
08 Apr 2020 01:40 #163141 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Filter tripping the RCD
Filters tripping the RCD is a common problem. There are special RCDs with short time delay tripping available that avoid trips at switch on. Those tend to be rather expensive though. I happend to get a used one and that has solved my problems. If it happens after power on then you might want to change the filter.

More
08 Apr 2020 12:08 #163185 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Filter tripping the RCD
I agree with Aciera, beter remove the filter and leave the RCD as is, they are very useless devices until the moment you touch a live wire, then you have to go and kiss it several times.! :)

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds