LinuxCNC and AMD APU?

More
06 Apr 2020 12:23 #162895 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LinuxCNC and AMD APU?
Nice, i will give it a try as soon as i get in the house, i am outside in the sun as we had snow twice in the last two two weeks with temperatures below 0 celcius.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2020 12:36 - 06 Apr 2020 12:38 #162901 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic LinuxCNC and AMD APU?

Not much luck with it, it has a latency of over 400000!
The main issue is there is no way of disabling hyperthreading, the thing that i utterly hate, it never did anything to improve computing, but it is still being used as a holy grail !
Will have to do some more tests but it does not look good, to much power saving and throttling core jumping, DDR4 with to much latency, etc etc.

You sure that was bare metal with a real time kernel and not in a VM with a vanilla kernel ?

Geesh that is bad. My little dual core atom I tested wasn’t that bad. Love to do more testing on it, but it’s now doing duties as a firewall\router. No point in wasting the dual NICs

Should try a summer down under tommy, that’ll warm ya bones.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2020 12:38 by BeagleBrainz. Reason: Invitation to spend summer 6’ from the sun

More
06 Apr 2020 12:42 #162903 by tommylight
Rod was taunting me a while back complaining about hot weather while i was freezing my b@t off here. I like warm weather, shorts and a t shirt and move on. Well except i can wear shorts most of the time due to dealing with people, it is considered " not serious" here.

More
06 Apr 2020 21:09 #162964 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC and AMD APU?

Rod was taunting me a while back complaining about hot weather while i was freezing my b@t off here. I like warm weather, shorts and a t shirt and move on. Well except i can wear shorts most of the time due to dealing with people, it is considered " not serious" here.

Tommy, zero degrees sounds a bit of an improvement for you.

7:00am here and still in a tee shirt and shorts at a rather pleasant 19 degrees outside but 23 degrees inside. You can check out the weather at my place on my personal weather station and weep!
www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IQUEENSL561
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Apr 2020 21:41 #162970 by tommylight
No weeping today it was 16 !
And the only weather forecast i use is in the morning when i wake up i open a window and stick my head out. Based on that i get dressed appropriately. I never try to forecast what mother nature is going to do, out of my hands.

More
06 Apr 2020 21:49 #162972 by rodw

No weeping today it was 16 !

Our max yesterday was 33. Today will be similar!

More
07 Apr 2020 00:39 #162989 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic LinuxCNC and AMD APU?
I'm in tee & shorts about 90% of the time, not counting the time at work, as the safety freaks deems that it will be our death if we expose the smallest amount of bear skin to the sun. I've been on civil sites where getting caught too many times with your sleeves rolled up means dismissal. Even been reemed out for walking to smoko with sleeves rolled up. This was only a large project at Bundamba, even tho the money was really great, being a spotter for reversing tippers all day was as boring as hell. Least when you're spotting for an excavator your feel like you've actually done something at the end of the day when there's a mess of services underground and nothing has been broke.
And they used to wonder why they had boys dropping from the heat when they would actively discourage the boys from drinking drinks that contained electrolytes, they couldn't understand that water will just dilute the precious electrolytes you have left after sweating like a pig.

More
07 Apr 2020 01:19 #162993 by rodw

I'm in tee & shorts about 90% of the time, not counting the time at work, as the safety freaks deems that it will be our death if we expose the smallest amount of bear skin to the sun. I've been on civil sites where getting caught too many times with your sleeves rolled up means dismissal. Even been reemed out for walking to smoko with sleeves rolled up. This was only a large project at Bundamba, even tho the money was really great, being a spotter for reversing tippers all day was as boring as hell. Least when you're spotting for an excavator your feel like you've actually done something at the end of the day when there's a mess of services underground and nothing has been broke.
And they used to wonder why they had boys dropping from the heat when they would actively discourage the boys from drinking drinks that contained electrolytes, they couldn't understand that water will just dilute the precious electrolytes you have left after sweating like a pig.

How its changed. Back in the 80's I was in the Army Reserve and sleeves were to be worn rolled up at all times unless you went tactical in the bus.....

More
05 Sep 2020 06:33 - 05 Sep 2020 06:36 #180782 by refors
Replied by refors on topic LinuxCNC and AMD APU?
Hello,
Glad to report good stable jitter result with Ryzen 5-3500U on ordinary 400USD HP laptop. OS - Mint 20 with 5.0 kernel, Linuxcnc 2.8. Maximum base thread jitter was 24us and servo jitter was 13us during the night under the load. isolcpus=6,7 and virtual technology enabled in BIOS. VT disabled has been causing twice a minute 800us jitter.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2020 06:36 by refors.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds