Can I position an axis using the numeric keypad?

More
05 May 2020 04:42 #166730 by pmconsulting
I have linuxcnc working on both my mill and lathe. I also have a vistaCNC pendant which is a godsend. It allows me to both move any axis using the rotary controller and by holding down buttons to move any axis in either positive or negative directions and there are easy to use functions for setting the rate. This makes it better to use the LinuxCNC interface & pendant for manual operations than it would be to operate cranks.

What I want to do is move any axis manually by entering a numeric value on the keyboard. Is there a way in LinuxCNC where I could put a cursor into a value field, select the axis I want to move, and enter a specific distance and have that particular axis move that amount?

Although I am able to create gcode files and run them from beginning to end, I really feel the need for more direct control of basic routines. I have seem FernV's files, but have gotten overwhelmed trying to get them to function. Is there a better alternative for this sort of conversational control?

With all of LinuxCNC's capabilities, there ought to be a way to permit this sort of control. I have a stepper controlled rotary table for my mill and I would like to attempt cutting gears. Of course I could draw the item in CAD and generate a gcode milling file that would make the entire part. But, why couldn't I figure out how much rotation I need between teeth and just keep advancing the rotary manually by that fixed amount?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2020 06:46 #166740 by bbsr_5a

What I want to do is move any axis manually by entering a numeric value on the keyboard.

HIT F5 on keyboard ->> MDI
and enter your Gcode Value to go to
like G0 X 2 Y1

thats all
as you are on keyboard
you got more machinees and dont know MDI courious i think

More
05 May 2020 14:21 #166773 by pmconsulting
Thank you for the information, bbsr_5a. There's plenty I don't know. The LinuxCNC manual, along with any version of Unix are like a gold mines of information. Huge, dark, deep gold mines with lots and lots of tunnels in which there may be an occasional nugget of gold.

I've learned that any system where users aren't able to work together for better understanding will eventually fail. We should be arguing technique rather than judging shortcomings.

LinuxCNC needs better, leveled documentation. It should separate the nitty-gritty so that people like me can find the fundamentals more easily without getting lost down so many rabbit holes.

More
06 May 2020 06:01 #166841 by cmorley
There is actual no documentation specifically on MDI in the manual ( at least that I can find). I suppose it's assumed you know the basics of CNC and the docs spell out the particulars of linuxcnc's version.

It would be a good project for a interested user to write and we could add it.

Chris

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds