Campy / camview on gmoccapy problem

More
10 May 2020 15:02 #167270 by geertd
I managed to install Campy within gmoccapy and make it work. After that however, with each tool change the tool change message dialog appears; clicking OK in the dialog works, but the dialog does not disappear. Gmoccapy does however go on milling the part.
I also noticed that since I installed Campy, when you click "launch test message" in the advanced setup, gmoccapy freezes completely.
However, this problem seems not to affect all messages. Messages like the one that warns you cannot go into auto mode until homing the machine, or the "probe tripped during jogging" work fine and disappear when you click on them.
I also noticed that since then, when I leave the machine on for a long time, I suddenly get a message about the RTAI and something on missing steps.... (sorry for not remembering the complete and exact message)

Commenting out the Campy related lines in the .ini file does not help. The problem only goes away if you remove the "from camview import Camview" line in the hal_pythonplugin.py file. This also seems to solve the problem with the RTAI message.

I have seen this problem mentioned in 2 other threads. Just wanted to add my experience to the forum, especially the one on the RTAI message in case it helps.
I do have python programming experience, and might have a look at the camview.py file when I have some time, but I'm afraid my limited experience will probably not be enough to find out the exact cause of this problem.

Geert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2020 13:19 #169130 by andypugh

Commenting out the Campy related lines in the .ini file does not help. The problem only goes away if you remove the "from camview import Camview" line in the hal_pythonplugin.py file.

Is that part of the installation instructions? It seems odd to have to edit a source file.

More
28 May 2020 14:14 #169234 by geertd
To your question if this is part of the installation instructions: Yes and no. Campy comes with a script that installs it (CamPY_setup.py). I ran this script and one of the things it does is inserting this line in the hal_pythonplugin.py file.

So when I started to have the problem of the toolchange dialog hanging, I suspected Campy and read the installation script to see what it does.

To see when the error appears, I started undoing the campy installation step by step. First I eliminated the lines I added in my .ini file to start Campy in a separate tab. This did not change anything, and the toolchange dialog kept hanging.

Next thing I did was eliminating this import line from the mentioned python file, and since then everything seems to work OK.

I think I will leave my installation without Campy for the moment. It looked like a nice and quick way for setting the x=0 and y=0 if one does not need too much precision, but it is not really that high on my priority list. A am afraid that if things start hanging in the middle of a program it might wreak havoc...

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds