Tree J425 tuning

More
17 May 2020 15:16 #168072 by Thods1222
Tree J425 tuning was created by Thods1222
Hello, I have a Tree J425 that I have been banging my head against the wall for some time trying to tune the PID loop. I went through the steps provided by tommylight to accomplish the tuning. Once I figured I had it right I put my dial indicator on an axis and found that the commanded position vs the actual movement was off .003in on a .1" movement. Through continued tweaking of the PID and the FFn values I was able to get it down to .0015 but nothing further. Part of me thinks the hardware is to blame but part of me thinks I am pooching the tune. Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2020 11:24 #168138 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic Tree J425 tuning
Hi
Welcome
some more infos needed as you may have retrofited the system to a SERVO one
what are the Encoders
there are 2 ways as the Machine itself are deliverd in more then one version
you are facing the problem of the Leadscrew mount not in exact pos and fot fixed on one side only tight to the motor oposit side
Fixed and free run Bearing called

Please Tell what system you got running and maybe the controller type you are dealing

The best way to get this system to a real accurate CNC is to use the Liniar Scale direct Axis mount Glass scales for setprice at 250USD
with 10uM Scale steps that can b devided by 4 signals into the Controller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thods1222

More
19 May 2020 15:22 #168276 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Tree J425 tuning

actual movement was off .003in on a .1" movement

How much error are you getting on longer moves? As an example, if you came up .030 short at 1" move, it would suggest you have your encoder scale wrong. If the error is consistent when moving in the same direction, as an example, indicator overshoots by .0015" then creeps back to zero, that is more likely PID tuning. If you're testing in different directions, backlash comes into play. I'm guessing here, your machine has the encoders fitted on the end of the ball screw? Any play in the gib, ballscrew mount, and screw will be masked. I would also check how much lost motion you have during axis reversal. As an example, you're encoder may be counting .003" of movement before the table moves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thods1222

More
23 Jul 2020 02:01 #175450 by Thods1222
Replied by Thods1222 on topic Tree J425 tuning
Ok, so I am able to get back to this. I checked the encoder count and adjusted it and it looks like it fixed the x and y. I am now tuning the z and it is acting strange. It seems to lose the encoder on the up stroke. Comparing the up stroke and the down stroke it seems that the down stroke is moving slower than the up. Do you guys know what would cause this?

More
23 Jul 2020 11:45 #175524 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Tree J425 tuning
Is the velocity shown on screen the same in both directions ?

More
23 Jul 2020 14:00 #175544 by Thods1222
The velocity for the down stroke is much flatter than the up stroke. The upstroke peaks much faster and it coasts to the commanded position. I will see if I can get a pic of the halscope.

More
24 Jul 2020 14:45 #175640 by Thods1222
Just for curiosity I probed the Aout2 on the board to read the voltage it was giving to the drive as a position command. I was surprised to find it was about half the voltage for the down stroke vs the upstroke. Do you know what would cause this?

More
24 Jul 2020 15:25 #175646 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Tree J425 tuning
Upload the hal and ini files.
Also check for bias in the ini file, it should be 0 if it is there.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds