(Solved) Spindle Analog Output Not Working

More
21 May 2020 10:41 - 21 May 2020 10:43 #168478 by turbodude
Hi Guys,
I am setting up LinuxCNC for the first time and now have a basic machine running that I can jog each axis on. I am now trying to work out how to get the analog output working to control spindle speed (18,000 rpm router spindle).

1) Running 2.7.14 installed from here: "linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64.iso" from www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
2) Mesa 7i76e
3) Setup using Pncconfig.
4) Spindle Enable signal is working fine.
5) My VSD will eventually provide 10VDC to pin Pin3 (SPINDLE+) and 0VDC to Pin1(SPINDLE-) of connector TB4. For now I have just connected a 9V battery to those pins.
6) When I turn on the spindle from LinuxCNC, pins 5 & 6 of TB4 connect together to turn on the spindle but I don't get any analog voltage at pin 2 (SPINDLE OUT) of TB4 (with reference to pin1).

I don't know my way around the hal & ini files yet. Could someone provide some direction of what to look for please?. I have attached my hal & ini files.

Cheers.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2020 10:43 by turbodude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2020 10:58 #168486 by tommylight
The spindle scale and outputs should be 18000 for an 18000RPM spindle, in the ini file, not 10000.
Did you try pressing the + sign on the GUI below spindle on, or pressing F12 repeatedly while measuring the output ?

More
22 May 2020 07:08 #168559 by turbodude
I didn't realise the speed was going to start at 0 (=0V) and that the + sign needs to be clicked many times (can't just hold) before you notice the voltage rising. Holding F12 as you suggest moves the voltage much quicker so it does indeed work fine. I have now changed the ini file settings to 18,000rpm. Is the GUI supposed to show RPM anywhere by default? It would have been immediately obvious if there was an RPM display.
Thanks for your help.

More
22 May 2020 09:23 #168564 by tommylight

Is the GUI supposed to show RPM anywhere by default?

That can be added as a side panel from pncconf when on the GUI page.

More
22 May 2020 18:00 #168593 by cmorley
add DEFAULT_SPINDLE_SPEED = 200
to the INI under the [DISPLAY] header.

Chris

More
23 May 2020 03:56 #168646 by turbodude
Thanks Chris, I added DEFAULT_SPINDLE_SPEED to ini and working well.

Thanks Tommylight, I added a sidepanel from Machine -> Hal Meter -> Signals Tab -> spindle-output which works to show commanded spindle speed. Is this the same as would result from doing it in Pncconf as I don't see that setting in mine (I am trying not to use Pncconf again anyway as it overwrites all my changes)?
The only issue now is that I have to open the side window manually every time I start LinuxCNC. Can this be set to popup automatically?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
More
23 May 2020 09:04 #168669 by turbodude
Cheers, I will check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds