Shuttlexpress problems

More
17 Jun 2020 12:41 #171904 by n_spect_r
I have two machines and successfully connected a shuttle to one but the second is giving me fits. My memory may not be accurate as the first was a while ago. As I remember I added the shuttle.hal file to the machine folder, added the line HALFILE = shuttle.hal in the machine .ini file under [HAL] and a 99-shuttle.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-shuttle.rules which reads;
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0b33", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0020", MODE="0444"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="05f3", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0240", MODE="0444"

All is good on the first machine, when I fry to run the second I get an error log, looks like a permission error.
This is in the debug section;
shuttlexpress: error opening /dev/hidraw0: Permission denied
shuttlexpress: make sure you have read permission on /dev/hidraw0, read the shuttlexpress(1) manpage for more info
shuttlexpress: error opening /dev/hidraw1: Permission denied
shuttlexpress: make sure you have read permission on /dev/hidraw1, read the shuttlexpress(1) manpage for more info
shuttlexpress: error opening /dev/hidraw2: Permission denied
shuttlexpress: make sure you have read permission on /dev/hidraw2, read the shuttlexpress(1) manpage for more info
shuttlexpress: error opening /dev/hidraw3: Permission denied
shuttlexpress: make sure you have read permission on /dev/hidraw3, read the shuttlexpress(1) manpage for more info
Waiting for component 'shuttle' to become ready...........................................................................................................
./shuttle.hal:14: shuttle exited without becoming ready
Stopping realtime threads

Help please. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
18 Jun 2020 19:30 #172032 by n_spect_r
Replied by n_spect_r on topic Shuttlexpress problems
Thanks for the reply but I have no idea what any of this means to me. Tried changing the 0444 to 0666 and still the same problem. Can someone give some more clear guidance? Thanks.

More
18 Jun 2020 19:49 #172035 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Shuttlexpress problems
Solution

Create / Modify the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules on your machine and insert KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", MODE="0666"
Restart your machine
- Create a file named "99-com.rules"
- Open with text editor (not word processor) and add these lines:
KERNEL=="hidraw*"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw"
MODE="0666"
Save the file in the /etc/udev/rules.d/ folder.
You will need supervisor right to be able to save it there.

More
19 Jun 2020 23:31 #172124 by n_spect_r
Thanks. I am making some progress. Now there is something with the "shuttle" not being ready. I tried to start the program, the splash screen comes up then goes away. I waited several minutes and tried to launch again. I get the box that says Linuxcnc is already running, start anyway. Then I get two error report windows. i think this is where i need to look. The device ID on highdraw 1-3 is my wireless mouse.

RUN_IN_PLACE=no
LINUXCNC_DIR=
LINUXCNC_BIN_DIR=/usr/bin
LINUXCNC_TCL_DIR=/usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc
LINUXCNC_SCRIPT_DIR=
LINUXCNC_RTLIB_DIR=/usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/linuxcnc
LINUXCNC_CONFIG_DIR=
LINUXCNC_LANG_DIR=/usr/share/linuxcnc/tcl/msgs
INIVAR=inivar
HALCMD=halcmd
LINUXCNC_EMCSH=/usr/bin/wish8.5
LINUXCNC - 2.7.14
Machine configuration directory is '/home/bridgeport/linuxcnc/configs/my-mill-2'
Machine configuration file is 'my-mill-2.ini'
INIFILE=/home/bridgeport/linuxcnc/configs/my-mill-2/my-mill-2.ini
PARAMETER_FILE=linuxcnc.var
TASK=milltask
HALUI=
DISPLAY=axis
Starting LinuxCNC...
Starting LinuxCNC server program: linuxcncsvr
Loading Real Time OS, RTAPI, and HAL_LIB modules
Starting LinuxCNC IO program: io
Found file(REL): ./my-mill-2.hal
Found file(REL): ./custom.hal
Found file(REL): ./shuttle.hal
shuttlexpress: checking /dev/hidraw0
shuttlexpress: checking /dev/hidraw1
shuttlexpress: checking /dev/hidraw2
shuttlexpress: checking /dev/hidraw3
shuttlexpress: checking /dev/hidraw4
shuttlexpress: found Contour Design ShuttleXpress on /dev/hidraw4
shuttlexpress: exiting
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
Removing NML shared memory segments

Debug file information:
shuttlexpress: dev /dev/hidraw0 has unexpected Vendor ID 0x046d (expected Contour Design, 0x0b33)
shuttlexpress: dev /dev/hidraw1 has unexpected Vendor ID 0x046d (expected Contour Design, 0x0b33)
shuttlexpress: dev /dev/hidraw2 has unexpected Vendor ID 0x046d (expected Contour Design, 0x0b33)
shuttlexpress: dev /dev/hidraw3 has unexpected Vendor ID 0x046d (expected Contour Design, 0x0b33)
Waiting for component 'shuttle' to become ready............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
./shuttle.hal:14: shuttle exited without becoming ready
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components

More
24 Jun 2020 14:17 #172593 by n_spect_r
I still can't get this running. I tried starting from a terminal window. Attached photo of what happens. I left it for 8-10 minutes and it just keeps putting more dots on the lines.
Attachments:

More
07 Jul 2020 13:43 #173834 by n_spect_r
I still can't get this to work. Very frustrating. Anyone have ideas ?

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds