What servoController to use with B&R servo's with EnDat 2.2

More
28 Jun 2020 10:55 #172973 by cnc4ever
Hey Guys

I am preatty new around here.
First thanks to all who worked on this, really cool project :)

Now my question.
I could buy a 3 Axis Portal for preatty cheap.
It was used to unload a plastic press and I would like to build a Laser Engraver / Cutter out of it.
The device was build with Parts form a small Brand called "B&R Automation".
- There are servo Motors B&R "SLSA45.E3060D200-0" with a EnDat 2.2 interface.
- Servo Controllers B&R ACOPOS "8ACP: HAEHN-06" with a "POWERLINK" fieldbus
- A PLC B&R "X20CP1485-1"

Now is the question how can I controll these with LinuxCNC.
I didn't found anything related to B&R in the Forum and also not to POWERLINK.
- Is there a way to communicate with the Controllers?

- Another option could be buying "CAN" interface for the Controllers but they are not that cheap and I didn't worked with B&R before.
And "CAN" is also not really frequently used around here.

- Another option could be new Controllers with a EnDat 2.2 interface. I saw that EtherCat and Beckhoff is supportet by LinuxCNC so I could by Beckhoff Drives and use Ethercat.

What do you guys think?
What would be the best solution?
Do you have other succestions? Maybe another Servo Controller Brand?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2020 11:13 #172974 by tommylight
That looks way to heavy for a laser cutter, but might still work with proper tuning.
Find the spec sheets for drives or links to them.

More
28 Jun 2020 11:53 #172978 by cnc4ever
It is build for 15kg load, so yes it is preatty heavy.
I attached the datasheet from the Portal to (sorry it is in german but it should be clear with the units).
I think the speeds nevertheless fearly high.

The manual for the drives is availabele here: www.br-automation.com/de-ch/produkte/ant...umentation/maacp1-e/
The actual type is "8v1045.00-2" the type of the previous post is probaby a serial numer or something else...
Attachments:

More
28 Jun 2020 12:04 #172979 by tommylight
None of those have any useful info.

More
28 Jun 2020 12:27 #172982 by cnc4ever
Hmm ok and what are you looking for?

In general I tend to replace the controllers.
Are there sucesstion for Controllers with a EnDat 2.2 interface?

More
28 Jun 2020 12:35 #172983 by tommylight
Control interface for the drives or the types of input commands it can use, like step/dir, up/down, +-10V analog or similar.

More
28 Jun 2020 12:39 #172984 by tommylight

Are there sucesstion for Controllers with a EnDat 2.2 interface?

That might be why i am asking a lot, i never use those proprietary communication stuff, ever.
I am avoiding ethercat also, as setting a Mesa Ethernet system is so easy, but i do like the modularity of the ethercat.

More
28 Jun 2020 13:04 - 28 Jun 2020 17:44 #172986 by Aciera
Oh my, POWERLINK is a fieldbus introduced by B+R and those controllers do not work with regular inputs like step/dir or analog voltages. So if you want to use those controllers you would have to get the CAN modules and hope to get those running.
I have no idea on your background but this is going to take some serious tinkering. Maybe it can be done if you put enough effort into it.
But frankly if I were you I'd try to sell those controllers and motors and get myself something easier to handle.

[edit]
I just checked on the STML drive and they are planning to develop EnDat interfacing but really I would not hold my breath for that one.

[edit2]
I meant to write STMBL drive.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 17:44 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Jun 2020 16:56 #173006 by cnc4ever
Ok, I see.
The CAN solution sounds preatty experimental , and the problem is these modules only costs about 200 each. So not realy cheap for a experimental solution....

Do you have a sucesstion for what servos / drives to use? And what would cost that? The servos have about 10Nm Force a 19mm shaft and are spinning up to 6000rpm.

Another option I could think of is still using the PLC.
So the PLC talks with POWERLINK to the Servo Controllers and from there I go over RS-485, CAN, ethernet or something to LinuxCNC (position and Speed).
But what I am not sure if this will be fast enought. What cycle times are needed there?

More
28 Jun 2020 18:01 - 28 Jun 2020 18:04 #173011 by Aciera
I gather there are chinese servo systems available that are actually quite usable although I can't give you a particular advice. Maybe check aliexpress for your requirements or wait until somebody to come along and suggests something. Unfortunately, as Tommy has already commented, your physical set up is rather heavy and that will require quite powerful motors.
Can't really comment on the needed cycle times but considering you are aiming at a laser machine I would imagine you need quite a fast and responsive signal path. Not sure if routing that through a PLC is such a great idea but really I'm just guessing.
Everything other than step/dir and +-10V analog is off the beaten track. CAN seems to be used by some but I have no experience with it, so you might still want to pick up one of those CAN modules and see if you get one axis running.
Again I have no idea as to how much tinkering you are willing to dive into, if you are willing it might be worth your while.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 18:04 by Aciera. Reason: typos

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds