Getting a WHB04B-4 working.

More
29 Jun 2020 18:11 #173117 by photomankc
So I see that support for this thing is new and I'm forced into it because my HB04 wired pendant died and I have no backup and no way to buy another one. So far I've gathered you need to be on at least 2.8 maybe 2.9, I'm not sure. It seems that some have had success but the threads are long and branching so it's tough to put together what I need to do exactly.

I found documentation on the xhc-whb04b-6xhc-whb04b-6 component but the example file in there seems to do nothing for me. After adding it to the [HAL] section of my machine ini, I had to comment each and every single line in the file as it bombed out with errors that there was no such pin. With everything commented out but the loadrt statement I got past the crashes but then I see why it complains. Looking at HAL configuration there are none of the pins mentioned in the sample config for whb.*

So, is there any concise set of instructions to get this sucker working? I've got a stripped out config that works with keyboard and mouse but I really would like to get my pendant back to working. Right now I'd be happy to just see some X/Y/Z coordinates so that I know communication is occurring and I can probably work it out from there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2020 18:31 #173121 by tommylight
Never used them, but they are USB so first thing to check is the permissions as that is usually the main issue.
So if you get "access denied" in the error messages, search for arduino access denied, the user needs to be added to dialout group.
here you have everything available inside the linuxcnc.org site:
www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=QDP6X...SRCLkQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

More
29 Jun 2020 18:50 - 29 Jun 2020 19:35 #173123 by photomankc
Nope, no permissions errors. User is a member of the dialout group, and looks like that was done at creation by the installer as I did not have to change it.

So when looking at that linked page I posted page I interpreted this as the what I needed to do:

Add sample HAL file shown to the configuration directory named as "xhc-whb04b.hal"

Add that file into my mills PM25-MV.ini as an additional HAL file to load:
[HAL]
HALFILE = PM-25MV.hal
HALUI = halui
HALFILE = xhc-whb04b.hal
POSTGUI_HALFILE = custom_postgui.hal

At first it just complained of missing pins on each uncommented line. Then once all lines other than the loadrt were commented out, LinuxCNC would start and bring up Axis but when I looked at HAL configuration from the menu there is no top level whb device and so there can't be any whb,* pins. It seems the load is not working but there is no error message about it.

ETA: Tried loading it on cmdline with halrun, at first just silence but then I added the command "sudo udevadm trigger" and see this:

$ halrun
halcmd: loadusr -W xhc-whb04b-6 -H

failed to claim interface
halcmd: exit
Note: Using POSIX realtime
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jun 2020 19:35 by photomankc.

More
29 Jun 2020 20:24 - 29 Jun 2020 20:31 #173133 by photomankc
I found this in the long thread:

First check the folder "/etc/udev/rules.d/" is there the files 90-smoothie.rules ?

you can also try sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/90-smoothie.rules for check if the files is ok.

I do not have any such file in my directory... 
/etc/udev/rules.d$ ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 13  2018 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jun 28 13:54 ..

This was installed via apt-get and the buildbot URIs.

dmesg text when it's inserted:
[90617.632041] usb 7-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[90617.797072] usb 7-1: New USB device found, idVendor=10ce, idProduct=eb93
[90617.797075] usb 7-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[90617.797078] usb 7-1: Manufacturer: KTURT.LTD
[90617.805277] hid-generic 0003:10CE:EB93.0009: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [KTURT.LTD] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1/input0
Last edit: 29 Jun 2020 20:31 by photomankc.

More
29 Jun 2020 21:05 - 30 Jun 2020 21:25 #173135 by alkabal
Replied by alkabal on topic Getting a WHB04B-4 working.
Hi

I think something is broken in the 2.8 but i have successfully used 2.9 some time ago.

you need to have a file inside rules.d folder called "99-xhc-whb04b-6.rules" if this file is missing you need to create one !:
sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/99-xhc-whb04b-6.rules
# xhc-whb04b-6 mpg pendant
ATTR{idProduct}=="eb93", ATTR{idVendor}=="10ce", MODE="666", OWNER="root", GROUP="plugdev"

You need to reboot computer or

If you add confs to the udev you need to run:
udevadm control -R

to reload the confs and database.

Secondly
open a terminal without starting linuxcnc and type :
halrun
loadusr -W xhc-whb04b-6 -Hsf

and open a second terminal and type :
watch -n0.4 halcmd show pin whb.

If the device and driver work you can see several entry in the second terminal.

ps : you can try reread my post from this link
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...king?start=90#164533
Last edit: 30 Jun 2020 21:25 by alkabal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: photomankc

More
29 Jun 2020 21:19 - 29 Jun 2020 21:19 #173138 by photomankc
Okay, I think I'm in business. I missed the line in that documentation page that mentioned this:

The xhc−whb04b−6 executable needs permission for reading the pendant’s USB device. There may be the need for additional udev rules. If so, this file /etc/udev/rules.d/99−xhc−whb04b−6.rules should be created with the single line ATTR{idProduct}=="eb93", ATTR{idVendor}=="10ce", MODE="0666", OWNER="root", GROUP="plugdev".

So based on the fact that I was missing the rules file mentioned in the earlier post and that snip of text I gathered I needed to create it. I did change the group from "plugdev" to "dialout" following the pattern of the other devices but not sure that makes a difference. I tried again and no joy. But I decided to give it a reboot in case something had not picked up on the rules or the device file lingered after unplugging somehow.

After the reboot there was rejoicing:
~$ halrun
halcmd: loadusr -W xhc-whb04b-6 -H
halcmd: show pin 
Component Pins:
Owner   Type  Dir         Value  Name
     4  s32   OUT             0  whb.axis.a.jog-counts
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.a.jog-enable
     4  float OUT             0  whb.axis.a.jog-scale
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.a.jog-vel-mode
     4  s32   OUT             0  whb.axis.b.jog-counts
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.b.jog-enable
     4  float OUT             0  whb.axis.b.jog-scale
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.b.jog-vel-mode
     4  s32   OUT             0  whb.axis.c.jog-counts
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.c.jog-enable
     4  float OUT             0  whb.axis.c.jog-scale
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.c.jog-vel-mode
     4  s32   OUT             0  whb.axis.x.jog-counts
     4  bit   OUT          TRUE  whb.axis.x.jog-enable
     4  float OUT             0  whb.axis.x.jog-scale
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.x.jog-vel-mode
     4  s32   OUT             0  whb.axis.y.jog-counts
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.y.jog-enable
     4  float OUT             0  whb.axis.y.jog-scale
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.y.jog-vel-mode
     4  s32   OUT             0  whb.axis.z.jog-counts
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.z.jog-enable
     4  float OUT             0  whb.axis.z.jog-scale
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.axis.z.jog-vel-mode
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.button.feed-minus
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.button.feed-plus
     ... snip ...
     4  float IN              0  whb.halui.spindle-speed-cmd
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.halui.spindle.decrease
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.halui.spindle.forward
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.halui.spindle.increase
     4  bit   IN          FALSE  whb.halui.spindle.is-on
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.halui.spindle.reverse
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.halui.spindle.start
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.halui.spindle.stop
     4  bit   OUT          TRUE  whb.pendant.is-connected
     4  bit   OUT         FALSE  whb.pendant.is-sleeping

And then testing to see if I was getting data from the device:
~$ /usr/bin/xhc-whb04b-6 -e
pndnt failed to interpret axis code feed axisCode={?}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x00 text='' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt axis   active   event axis={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt wheel total counts {counts=0 activeCounter=0 isLeadActive=0}
pndnt button pressed  event metaButton={key={code=0x0e text='mode-continuous' altText='macro-15'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button released event metaButton={key={code=0x0e text='mode-continuous' altText='macro-15'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button pressed  event metaButton={key={code=0x0f text='mode-step' altText='macro-16'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button released event metaButton={key={code=0x0f text='mode-step' altText='macro-16'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button pressed  event metaButton={key={code=0x0e text='mode-continuous' altText='macro-15'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button released event metaButton={key={code=0x0e text='mode-continuous' altText='macro-15'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button pressed  event metaButton={key={code=0x01 text='reset' altText='macro-11'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button released event metaButton={key={code=0x01 text='reset' altText='macro-11'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button pressed  event metaButton={key={code=0x01 text='reset' altText='macro-11'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button released event metaButton={key={code=0x01 text='reset' altText='macro-11'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button pressed  event metaButton={key={code=0x0c text='fn' altText='<unused>'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button released event metaButton={key={code=0x0c text='fn' altText='<unused>'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button pressed  event metaButton={key={code=0x01 text='reset' altText='macro-11'} modifier={code=0x0c text='fn' altText='<unused>'}}
pndnt button released event metaButton={key={code=0x01 text='reset' altText='macro-11'} modifier={code=0x0c text='fn' altText='<unused>'}}
pndnt button pressed  event metaButton={key={code=0x0c text='fn' altText='<unused>'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt button released event metaButton={key={code=0x0c text='fn' altText='<unused>'} modifier={code=0x00 text='' altText=''}}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x12 text='Y' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt axis   active   event axis={code=0x12 text='Y' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x12 text='Y' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt wheel total counts {counts=0 activeCounter=1 isLeadActive=0}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x12 text='Y' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x13 text='Z' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt axis   active   event axis={code=0x13 text='Z' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x13 text='Z' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt wheel total counts {counts=0 activeCounter=2 isLeadActive=0}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x13 text='Z' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x14 text='A' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt axis   active   event axis={code=0x14 text='A' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x14 text='A' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt wheel total counts {counts=0 activeCounter=3 isLeadActive=0}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x14 text='A' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x13 text='Z' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt axis   active   event axis={code=0x13 text='Z' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x13 text='Z' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt wheel total counts {counts=0 activeCounter=2 isLeadActive=0}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x13 text='Z' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x12 text='Y' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt axis   active   event axis={code=0x12 text='Y' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x12 text='Y' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt wheel total counts {counts=0 activeCounter=1 isLeadActive=0}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x12 text='Y' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt axis   active   event axis={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x06 text='OFF' altText=''}}} isPermitted=FALSE}
pndnt axis   active   event axis={code=0x06 text='OFF' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x06 text='OFF' altText=''}}} isPermitted=FALSE}
pndnt wheel total counts {counts=NA activeCounter=UNDEFINED isLeadActive=0}
pndnt axis   inactive event axis={code=0x06 text='OFF' altText=''} axisButton={{{key={code=0x11 text='X' altText=''}}} isPermitted=TRUE}
pndnt feed   inactive event feed={code=0x00 text='' altText=''} feedButton={{{key={code=0x1b text='10' altText='100%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=100 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   active   event feed={code=0x1b text='10' altText='100%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x1b text='10' altText='100%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=100 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   inactive event feed={code=0x1b text='10' altText='100%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x1a text='5' altText='60%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=60 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   active   event feed={code=0x1a text='5' altText='60%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x1a text='5' altText='60%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=60 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   inactive event feed={code=0x1a text='5' altText='60%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x10 text='1' altText='30%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=30 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   active   event feed={code=0x10 text='1' altText='30%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x10 text='1' altText='30%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=30 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   inactive event feed={code=0x10 text='1' altText='30%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x0f text='0.1' altText='10%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=10 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   active   event feed={code=0x0f text='0.1' altText='10%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x0f text='0.1' altText='10%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=10 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   inactive event feed={code=0x0f text='0.1' altText='10%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x0e text='0.01' altText='5%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=5 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   active   event feed={code=0x0e text='0.01' altText='5%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x0e text='0.01' altText='5%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=5 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   inactive event feed={code=0x0e text='0.01' altText='5%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x0d text='0.001' altText='2%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=2 stepMode=0x00}
pndnt feed   active   event feed={code=0x0d text='0.001' altText='2%'} feedButton={{{key={code=0x0d text='0.001' altText='2%'}}} isPermitted=TRUE stepSize=2 stepMode=0x00}

So, tommylight was right about permissions it just was not immediately obvious that the device file was not going to have the right permissions. In fact, I'm completely lost as to where that device file even really is. But this is good. I think I can get on with loading it and connecting it up now!
Last edit: 29 Jun 2020 21:19 by photomankc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Jun 2020 16:29 #173195 by photomankc
God.

Nope, not working. Will not load the module in the live config. No errors, not messages, no 'whb' pins in hal so nothing in that hal file can possibly work.

This is wearing me down.

More
30 Jun 2020 18:51 #173200 by photomankc
Okay. I verified twice that it loaded when I typed the command from the file into halcmd, but when I copied and pasted the loadusr line from the file it would either not load, or hang waiting for the device. So I retyped the command into the file and deleted all other lines. I confirmed that it was typed letter for letter the same and deleted the old line. Now it loads in the live machine. All of the other lines behave the same producing strange results (like an error claiming halui.machine.is-on didn't exist) unless I hand type them in.

Best guess is that there is some non-printing character in there that's messing things up.

More
30 Jun 2020 18:59 #173202 by tommylight
Use gedit or mousepad or xed or geany for editing on linux, nothing else will do as they will insert line breaks and other stuff.
Notepad or Notepad++ for windows.
No word processors.

More
30 Jun 2020 21:07 - 30 Jun 2020 21:11 #173209 by alkabal
Replied by alkabal on topic Getting a WHB04B-4 working.
I think start with a working config

if not exist create rule file with this exact things and reboot after saving
sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d99-xhc-whb04b-6.rules
# xhc-whb04b-6 mpg pendant
ATTR{idProduct}=="eb93", ATTR{idVendor}=="10ce", MODE="666", OWNER="root", GROUP="plugdev"

So basically you only need to download this file : (untested wget command...)
cd your_config_directory
wget -O xhc-whb04b-6.hal https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/raw/master/src/hal/user_comps/xhc-whb04b-6/example-configuration.md

Edit your "know as working config.ini"
nano your_config.ini

for adding
[HALUI]
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro0)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro1)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro2)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro3)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro4)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro6)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro8)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro9)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro10)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro11)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro12)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro13)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro14)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro15)
MDI_COMMAND=(debug,macro16)

and add to HAL section (i think before POSTGUI_HALFILE)
HALFILE = xhc-whb04b-6.hal

thats all ! (i hope :laugh: )
Last edit: 30 Jun 2020 21:11 by alkabal.

Time to create page: 0.333 seconds