linuxcnc 2.8 release problem

More
10 Sep 2020 14:18 #181640 by BeagleBrainz
I had a look and there does seem to be a bit of traffic there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2020 14:25 #181642 by Clive S

I had a look and there does seem to be a bit of traffic there.

Well I am getting disillusioned with the new release with all this stuff missing it seems you have to jump through hoops it is not user friendly at all.

I do appreciate the effort you have put in.

More
10 Sep 2020 15:06 - 10 Sep 2020 15:08 #181644 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic linuxcnc 2.8 release problem
It certainly makes one appreciate all the effort that goes into these handy ISO images.

Just imagine the days when you had to patch your own kernel.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 15:08 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
10 Sep 2020 19:23 #181669 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic linuxcnc 2.8 release problem

It certainly makes one appreciate all the effort that goes into these handy ISO images.

Those days were not very long ago. I had to do it when I started.

More
10 Sep 2020 19:32 - 10 Sep 2020 21:02 #181670 by Clive S

I'm not sure that is correct I started in about 2013 and I have never had to to patch a kernel and I still don't know how to do it.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 21:02 by Clive S.

More
10 Sep 2020 20:19 - 10 Sep 2020 20:19 #181677 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic linuxcnc 2.8 release problem

I I'm not sure that is correct I started in about 2013 and I have never had two to patch a kernel and I still don't know how to do it.

I started in 2016. I had to run V2.8 (then master branch) to get the joint axes code. I needed PREEMPT_RT for a mesa 7i76e card. I was unable to get PREEMPT_RT functional on any OS until PCW and others talked me into using Linux Mint patching the kernel and helped me all the way. Once I got that far, it was silly not to learn how to Compile Linuxcnc. Based on my experience, one of my helpers created a tutorial thread on how to do this with Linux Mint and compile Linuxcnc on the Mint platform. That remained the pathway to PREEMPT_RT until the then experimental Stretch PREEMPT_RT ISO was released.

Phill subsequently shared "Another Plasma Component" which became Plasmac. Early adopters of Plasmac had to compile Phill's version of master branch on his repo but could start with the stretch ISO. Then Phill cherry picked the Reverse Run branch and got it operational for cut recovery. Plasma users had to use V 2.8 if they had a gantry machine to use Joint axes, just like I had to do.

V. 2 .8 was hived off from master branch in preparation for a new release about 2 years ago but the release went nowhere for a long time so we ended up with this sorry situation where there were 3 versions of Linuxcnc out there. THe stabel 2.7, the 2.8 release candidate and master branch (2.9). The release candidate should only have existed for a few weeks but it became a massive project that went nowhere.

It was agreed that Phills work ("Just a screen set and a optional component") could be pushed to Master branch becasue it would not break anything. We were able to get Phill's branch pushed to master branch. Due to the delays, we then were able to get Plasmac pushed back to 2.8 release candidate but it was not agreed that reverse run could go with it.

Subsequently, due to the long delay with release of the 2.8 candidate, reverse run became the best tested enhancement to the Linuxcnc core due to the number of Plasmac users using it, so we were able to get it pushed back to V 2.8.
So the full version of plasmac was finally available in the release candidate. By now Phill is on the Development team.

Then finally Andy the experimental state tags branch which had languished since 2015 to master branch. I had long advocated for its release becasue it would allow plasma users to know the original feed rate set in gcode in hal. Dewey Garrett, promptly made a modification to publish this state tag data as a pin in master branch. But by now Plasmac had devised an efficient work around to this so does not need the solution.

So now due to an amazing effort by Andy who took over the release mananger's role, we are back where we should be a single stable release version 2.8 with all the enhancements Plasmac needs and a development branch that contains more emerging features fro plasma built upon the state tags branch..
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 20:19 by rodw.

More
10 Sep 2020 20:30 - 10 Sep 2020 21:03 #181678 by Clive S
Rod thanks for the history lesson .
How do you think we did gantry machines before 2.8.

If you look back to my early posts you will see I discussed with Andy about Gantry homing and how it could be done.

Anyway none of the above is relevant to the post that I started. As this just Muddy's the post.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 21:03 by Clive S. Reason: spelling

More
10 Sep 2020 21:52 #181683 by tommylight
Is it possible to disable UEFI in the BIOS?

More
11 Sep 2020 05:50 #181723 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic linuxcnc 2.8 release problem
@Tommy
Have you tried

Disable secure boot
Disable UEFI
Enable Legacy Boot

More
11 Sep 2020 07:55 #181732 by tommylight

@Tommy
Have you tried

Disable secure boot
Disable UEFI
Enable Legacy Boot

:woohoo:
I disable everything the moment i turn on any PC! :)
That was addressed at Clive.
Thank you very much for your effort, your help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tom.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds