Same Auto level data for multiple ops? Is it possible?

More
10 Sep 2020 23:29 - 10 Sep 2020 23:56 #181688 by wiremonkey
Hello folks,
I'm new here and I'm hoping someone has experience with auto leveling that can help me.
I need to find an auto leveling method that allows me to scan a wood surface once, then apply to this map to multiple g-code files/operations/tool changes.
Does anyone have any insight or know of another auto leveling program or procedure which would allow me to do this?
I've looked into g-code ripper, but it seems to be setup for a one time scan and go.
We currently have a grbl based system and have been moderately successful using bCNC's built in autoleveler, but it chokes on large files and the real time interpolation slows down the speed and fluidity of the CNC machine.
I'm willing to take the deep dive and switch to LinuxCNC if I can solve this one issue.
Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Tyler
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 23:56 by wiremonkey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2020 12:01 #183285 by andypugh
This could be done, but I don't know of a currently working configuration.

There was previously this experiment:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProbeKins

But that turned out not to work properly due to discontinuities at the vertices of the correction mesh.

However, since that was developed, LinuxCNC now has:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/motion/external-offsets.html

And I feel that the combination of the two could do exactly what you require.

A certain amount of integration effort would be needed but I see no reason why it wouldn't work extremely well.

More
22 Sep 2020 12:11 #183289 by andypugh
After a bit of searching, this might take more effort than I thought, as the referenced files have disappeared.

But there are a few suggestions here that might solve your problem, possibly even a completed solution: forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-where-can-i-find-it

More
23 Sep 2020 01:05 #183366 by wiremonkey
Thanks for taking a look around Andy. I think it may be a tough nut to crack because it hasn't been implemented in many senders.
T=

More
23 Sep 2020 07:49 #183427 by andypugh

More
23 Sep 2020 14:54 #183478 by wiremonkey
g-code senders. Sorry, I'm coming from a grbl world where all of the software that communicates with arduinos are called g-code senders.

More
23 Sep 2020 15:12 #183480 by andypugh
LinuxCNC is its own G-code sender. Which also means that integrating an automated probe sequence in to the system would be relatively easy.
(For example, via a GUI button, which could auto probe the currently loaded G-code file extents)

Did any of the links in my second email look promising?

More
23 Sep 2020 17:06 #183499 by wiremonkey
Hi Andy,
I'm still a little too green in my LinuxCNC education to know whether or not the pages you suggested will help.
Once I get through setting up my first LinuxCNC machine and successfully configure my Mesa 7i76E card with servos, etc, then I'll have more pointed questions.
At the moment, I just just learned how easy it is to change the parameters by changing the .ini files! Baby steps...
Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds