Homing and Probe Test Issues after changing processor and upgrading

More
09 Dec 2020 19:27 #191522 by kramerda
I have two machines, both running on Rpi4. One works and the other used to work, only jogs now - no homing or probe test after upgrading. Other than file names, I've checked line by line and ini, hal, and connections.hal. They are are the same except where noted below relative to limit switches.

The older machine that was upgraded no longer moves during Homing (can jog XYZ no problem). I can go back to the older configs and it works OK. The 'older machine' does not have XY limit switches - worked fine before with PlasmaC .140. It does have Z axis limit and float swithes. Its PlasmaC is now .144
On the non working machine, Ohmic Test is high lighted (but I don't have ohmic sensing on either machine only float sensing) and Probe Test is not available. Probe test worked fine before the upgrade.

Notes: a couple of spots in the .ini file had duplicate entries after the configurator was run to upgrade the old machine.
I cleaned those up, all else looks the same. I can't just swap SD cards since the older/none working machine is 3 joint, no limit switches and the newer machine is 4 joint with XY limit switches.

On the non working machine no errors reported during a dry run, torch off. But the cycle does not include any Z movement now.

1. So - is it possible today to run without XY limit switches like before?
2. Are there other files I should check to see if something is different between the two machines?
Thanks to my 'first line helpers'
Dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2020 19:55 #191600 by kramerda
Arggggggggggg
Here's a partial answer to my question.
As it turns out the Homing Button/Sequence changed from one config of PlasmaC to the next - I didn't notice it until now.
The Homing button in .140 is Home All. The Homing button in .144 is Home Axis. So I was only homing one axis not all three which I guess is required before Probe Test is enabled. And since my one machine doesn't have home switches there was no movement during the individual axis homing so I never noticed that only one axis (default X) was homed.
Bottom line: if I individually home each axis then Probe Test works. Wish I understood enough to put Home button back to Home All the way it was in the earlier .140 release.

More
10 Dec 2020 20:25 #191603 by tommylight
For automatic homing to work (home all) these are required entries:
In the hal file:
home switches set up and wired to the respective joints
In the ini file:
each joint section needs to have the home, home offset, homing sequence, home search velocity, home latch velocity, and some others...
something like :
HOME_OFFSET = -3.000000
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -100.000000
HOME_LATCH_VEL = -5.00000
HOME_FINAL_VEL = 50.000000
HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
HOME_SEQUENCE = 1

More
11 Dec 2020 12:26 #191663 by kramerda
Thanks for the feedback tommylight.....much appreciated
The way I use my machine is turn it on, place a piece to be cut, move torch to where I want it to start and hit Run. I guess the few extra steps to home the machine, move to start location, reset machine 0s, is OK for now. I will keep 'experimenting' to keep things simple.
Have a safe and Joyous Holiday.
Dennis

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds