Double and triple instances for multiple turrets

More
29 Dec 2020 20:53 #193453 by The Feral Engineer
I work in Applications engineering for a large machine tool builder, so I've been around almost every kind of cnc machine you can dream up.

I work on 2 and 3 "head" (turret, channel, etc) multi-axis turning centers, which made me wonder. LinuxCNC will handle 9 axes, aptly labeled x y z a b c u v w, but the multi channel controls are essentially two separate controls, each running their own set of x y z, b and c axes: x1, y1, z1, c1, b (in the case of tilting head mill/turn), x2, y2, z2 and a for the sub and occasionally x3 y3 and z3 and they only communicate with each other for spindle control and synch codes to tell each respective turret when to stop/go when needed. I was wondering if there were any plans to develop a version of lcnc that could run multiple instances in tandem in this fashion, just out of personal curiosity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2020 22:55 #193686 by tommylight
There has been some talk about this before, but not much overall.
The idea with two PC/LinuxCNC controlling stuff should be easy to implement, interlocks and limits and synchronisation might be a bit harder, but i would like to think still doable.
Programming would be more of a challenge for complicated parts as those machines are made for producing very complicated stuff.
Not sure if there is the possibility of running two instances of LinuxCNC on the same PC, more like i doubt it, and even then it would have to control separate controllers.
Either way i look at it, the best option would be to use the existing 9 axis as that would leave the control from a single point.
This is just me thinking aloud, not much experience with them so far.

Happy New Year, all the best wishes,
Tom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds