Mint 20 and python development

More
05 Jan 2021 02:14 #194112 by faeluke
@tommylight
Tom, In a hardware post, you said about Mint 20 and Python 3...

I've already downgraded 2 of my PC's due to such issues.
For machine control it works perfectly, for development steer clear off it.

I don't know if I understand exactly what you are saying. I expect that as part of my retrofit, I will need custom code. Are you saying I should develop my python 3 code on a different machine, and it will work fine on the Mint 20 install? or are you saying something else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2021 08:44 #194130 by cmorley
i couldn't compile python3 based linuxcnc on Mint 20.
An un-removable python3 library collides with a required python2 library.

I could compile a python3 based linuxcnc on it -but linuxcnc is not completely supporting python3 yet.

Tom says that you can run a precompiled python2 version of linuxcnc on mint 20 (I haven't tried that )

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, faeluke

More
05 Jan 2021 12:09 #194140 by tommylight
Thank you Chris, that is the issue, Mint20 will insist on using Python 3 even after i had 5 or 6 Python versions installed and the links pointing to them set up, still some stuff would not work.
There is no way of knowing if something will work or not without testing, it will depend on what that code will be using, but in general so far it will have issues with importing modules, especially QT5 modules.
My advice, do not waste time testing this, Python3 messed up plenty of stuff and the internet is full of people having issues with it, installing 19.3 with RT kernel and LinuxCNC takes about 20 to 30 minutes on an oldish PC, takes about 3.5 minutes on my new PC. :)
Personally i am reverting back for a while till things get sorted out for my testing machines, using Mint 20 on my personal machines and leaving 19.3 on client machines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: faeluke

More
05 Jan 2021 12:13 #194142 by tommylight

Tom says that you can run a precompiled python2 version of linuxcnc on mint 20 (I haven't tried that )

Chris

Yes it does, the Stretch version and the dev, but dev will require some packages to be installed.
Have not tried the Buster version yet, i wonder why ?

More
06 Jan 2021 02:10 #194182 by faeluke
Thanks!

I will revert back to 19.3 and let others blaze the trail with 20. I just got my new retrofit project in house and can't wait to start.

More
06 Jan 2021 10:05 #194198 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mint 20 and python development
I think also that its prudent not to be on the bleeding edge of distros. My machine is running Mint 17.3 when 18 had been released!

Glad I chose 19.3 today then. I did sort all of the dependencies out eventually. I just kept checking the errors from autogen.sh until I cleaned them up.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds