WEG CFW300 VFD Mesa7i76 wiring

More
22 Mar 2021 20:37 #203290 by ncf250sd
Hey all,
I have recently switched to Linuxcnc after years of Mach3 for my milling machine. After many hours of reading and bench testing, I finally got the system hooked up to the machine. Most everything is running well except I am having difficulties hooking up the VFD to the Mesa7i76 card. I am using a WEG CFW300 Micro Drive and I and I referenced the attached wiring diagram. I can’t seem to follow the wiring terminology on where to hook up to the VFD and corollate them to the settings I need to do to the VFD. Any help in wiring the VFD and programming would be very much appreciated. I will try to attached the manuals.
Steve…….
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2021 20:42 #203292 by ncf250sd
I had to add the VFD manual in a separate post and I could only include a partial manual. Hopefully I included the pages needed.
Attachments:

More
22 Mar 2021 22:32 #203307 by newbynobi
Wiring would be done according to page 9 and 11.
Programming the vfd would need to read the manual.

Norbert

More
22 Mar 2021 22:54 #203316 by ncf250sd
Thanks for the reply. I understand how to wire the VFD, unfortunately I just cant figure out the wire labels from the Mesa wiring diagram and corollate them to the WEG VFD instructions. The VFD is programed for the most part, I just need to update the FWD/REV, On/Off, to reflect the wiring update. When Ihad it hooked up with Mach3 I only had on/off and rpm control. I don't fully grasp what signals/control the Mesa card is putting out to control each function of the VFD.

More
23 Mar 2021 05:26 #203350 by newbynobi
If I do interpret it correct it would be:

page 9
MESA
TB4 Signal VFD
Pin 1 GND Pin 7
PIN 2 Target value Pin 8
Pin 3 +10 V Pin 9

page 11
MESA
TB4 Signal VFD
Pin 6 spindle enable Pin 1
Pin 8 reverse Pin 2
Pin 5 GND Pin 5
Pin 7 GND Pin 5

May be you have to invert the signals in the Hal file, as your vfd expect normally open switches

Norbert

More
23 Mar 2021 12:30 #203385 by ncf250sd
Newbynobi,
your reply is exactly what needed, thank you. I just realized I was using your original wiring diagram for the VFD (using the VFD 10v analog to power the TB4 of the mesa card instead of a 12v or 24v source from the VFD) I will have to research if my VFD has that source available, I don't see it anywhere in the manual. I can supply the VFD with 24v under their PNP configuration. Would that be a viable option?

More
23 Mar 2021 21:44 #203438 by newbynobi
No, Mesa pin does just react as a switch and your vfd just expect a switch, no additional power connection to the spindle pin of the Mesa card, just the 10V from the vfd is needed.

Norbert

More
23 Mar 2021 23:03 #203459 by ncf250sd
Newbynobi,
First off, thank you very much for your time and information. I wired it exactly like you posted and I now have have most of the spindle control working. Start/stop, fwd, and rpm works; however, reverse turns the motor on to minimum rpm (set in the VFD) in the forward direction, I am pretty sure I have the VFD programmed correctly. Could this be a Hal file problem? I have attached my files so maybe some can take a look and give me some hints on what to correct. I included a couple Hal files because I use a Vista imach3 pendant so I had to comment out a bunch of stuff to get Linuxcnc to load.
Attachments:

More
24 Mar 2021 05:22 #203483 by newbynobi
Please watch the signal
spindle-vel-cmd-rpm
using halshow.

Does this one get negative numbers on reverse?
If so, that signal weil be feeded through pid to spindle-output and if this numbers are also negativ (should be so at this state)
The VFD might get a negative commanded rpm, does not know what to do with that and runs at min

If so, just pass the spindle-output through an abs component and you should be fine.

Norbert

More
25 Mar 2021 01:32 #203565 by ncf250sd
Yes, it does show a negative number. I looked at the hal file and I cant figure out exactly where to add the abs component. I assume you mean something like this?
net spindle-output-abs <= pid.s.output
Could you show me an example?

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds