Renishaw TP-20 Probe Connection

More
04 Apr 2021 07:07 #204717 by jackdavies
I have a Renishaw TP-20 CMM probe that I want to use as a 3D CNC probe. I have measured the 2 contacts of the probe and without triggering, it measures about 500ohm and then open circuit when triggered.

Is that normal for the 500ohm resistance and how would I tie that to an input on the Mesa card? Pull-up resistor connected maybe?

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2021 11:39 #204741 by tommylight
Seems like there is a diode or transistor there.

More
04 Apr 2021 17:44 #204791 by jackdavies
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for your reply, from what I have read of the Renishaw documentation it seams this probe just acts like a NC switch. With no extra circuitry in the body.

I am not sure why there is a resistance unless something is corroded but the unit is quite new.

More
04 Apr 2021 22:52 #204821 by tommylight
Connect the Ohm meter and switch it on and off several times while waiting for the readings to settle, if the numbers are consistent = not corrosion, if the value changes by several ohms = corrosion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackdavies

More
05 Apr 2021 11:42 #204880 by spumco
I don't know what the Renishaw receiving end circuitry looks like, but I believe they use a different system than the typical NC switch.

As I understand it, the receiver senses the resistance drop. Once the resistance value starts to drop, the receiving circuit drops the voltage significantly so that there's no (or very little) spark across the contacts when they break. And the voltage is higher at the start to reduce false triggers from EMI (guessing here).

No spark = no contact pitting = longer contact life and more accurate triggering over time.

I assume that the circuitry would have to be really fast to accomplish this at reasonable probing speeds, but again I'm not familiar with the details of the the receiving end components.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackdavies

More
05 Apr 2021 18:44 #204933 by jackdavies
Thanks for your replies, yeah I think you are right about the way they output the signal. This thread has a lot of info about the way Renishaw tackles the spark issue - www.cnczone.com/forums/tormach-personal-...25794-tormach-7.html

There are 2 circuits posted for inverting and non-inverting outputs which I think would work with the TP20 Probe, however this seams to use a 5v supply and the mesa inputs are 24v field power.

More
05 Apr 2021 20:32 #204958 by jackdavies
This is the non-inverting circuit diagram from the CNCZone post.
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2021 23:08 #204984 by spumco
Of course my post was written pre-coffee. I meant increase in resistance as the probe triggers...

Duh.

Thanks for throwing up the diagram for future reference.

-R

More
06 Apr 2021 09:25 #205054 by jackdavies
So I have redrawn the circuit so I can make some PCBs for this, but I am having trouble with the output voltage signal. I am using the inverting signal version of the circuit to be able to trigger the opto during a probe, otherwise the LED in the opto would be always on.

I am running my Mesa card at 24v field power, but this circuit operates on 5v so I thought about using an optocoupler to close the signal on the Mesa card for the PROBE IN pin. So I would power this from a 5v pin on the Mesa, but the actual triggering circuit would be separate.

Would something like this work?
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2021 11:00 #205073 by jackdavies
I think I could use the 5v Step/Dir for the supply and Enc Index in for the signal, as explained here - forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3668...stion?start=0#135209

Would then not need the optocoupler and simplify things and speed it up.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds