Biesse Rover B2.30 LinuxCNC

More
09 Apr 2021 18:24 #205453 by pcoloc
Hello community, I am new to the forum, so I do not know if I am in the correct section to post my question.

I have recently purchased a 2003 Biesse Rover B2.30 that has the CNI P600 driver (P602C and P601C), and I don't know if there is any way to make it work with LinuxCNC, I have not found information about it and I want to change it because it has Windows XP Service Pack 1 is a bit outdated and doesn't work really well.

Is there a way to get this driver to work with LinuxCNC?

I put Images of the controller.

The PC is DELL with 256MB RAM and a 2002-2003 Intel Pentium IV provided by Biesse.

If there is any more information that you need, do not hesitate to comment and I will provide it.

Thanks a lot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2021 20:04 - 09 Apr 2021 20:05 #205464 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Biesse Rover B2.30 LinuxCNC
I have done quite a few Biesse machines and I have two in my shop running linuxcnc.

That comnputer with those cards in it is the equivelant to a pc running linux with linuxcnc installed with either mesa boards or pico boards.

If you want to retrofit, you will need either a newer pc or use that one and install linux, then linuixcnc, figure out whether you want mesa or pico boards.

First you need to see how compatible your machine is. The newer Biesse's are a bit harder because they have alot of rs485 and proprietory protocols. So which drives you have in the cabinet and what the relay boards are what we need to know to help you with a retrofit. So post up some pics of the drivers and relays showing model numbers and we can help. Or post a pdf of your machine schematics. I love wortking on Biesse machines but have never touched a Rover B.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2021 20:05 by bevins.

More
10 Apr 2021 21:18 #205558 by andypugh
I assume that the information required to write a HAL driver for the original interface boards is absent?

More
19 Jul 2021 03:23 #215281 by numobel
Replied by numobel on topic Biesse Rover B2.30 LinuxCNC
We have the exact machine with us . Biesse Rover B 2.3.
Purchased in 2007.
It had been giving trouble like a multiple organ failure.
1. PC started shutting down as and when it pleased.  
2. Communication with machine stopped.
3. Homing stopped and machine went in COMA.

After many followups with Biesse india team, the only solution they came up with was to replace the PC, cards, Softwares, Windows etc- everything. on a charge of whooping 8000 Euros.
We being a very small company could not afford this arm twisting.
After a lot of research and banging heads on 100's of doors, finally took the matters in our own hands.
1. First step, we replaced the SMPS of HP PC which came along with the machine with an old SMPS from a junked PC in scrap market. We tried about 13 of them and found 4 of them giving proper calibrated current to HP motherboard.
2. Second Step :  we cloned the original hard disk on to 4 different disks and run the chkdsk and scandisks to free them of any errors.
3. Third Step : with no support from Biesse (for obvious greedy reasons) we started checking the documantation available for P610cand P602C cards in tandem with Yaskawa Drives. Finally we found that the communication IC for USB had a minor fault. We changed that component and brought the hardware near to its pristine condition.
4. Now the machine started communicating and the homing was also performed successfully.
5. 4th step :  we tried cloned disks one after another and finally one of them behaved properly and the program ran succesfully.
After 3 months of drifting helpless, we could save ourselves on our own without any knowledge of CNC stuff...
Now we are working on creating another PC, looking to buy another set of P601C and P602C cards from any salvaged machines from anywhere on the planet.
This is a must for us to keep our machine running for another 10 years because we know for sure, Biesse would not help at all.
Lesson learnt - Self Reliance is the key. You ride the horse when you know how to tame it to a large extent.
Now I am very excited to learn from this post that there may be a solution to run the machine in Linux environment also...
I will share any knowledge I gain in this process here- very soon.

More
22 Nov 2021 12:15 - 22 Nov 2021 14:27 #227292 by Knuppel
Replied by Knuppel on topic Biesse Rover B2.30 LinuxCNC
 We,a small construction company, are in the exact same situation. We have a Rover 24 L CNC, connected to a HP Compaq terminal. This terminal still runs Windows XP and was purchased with the machine. I have disconnected it from the network so no worries there. But my biggest concern is this terminal failing.

So i've purchased an exact same pc and interface card as a backup. It looks very much like the pictures in this topic, P602C and P601C. However, even though i kept everything exactly the same (bios settings, irq/dma, dip switches, hard disk image, etc.), the software refuses to talk to the interface card. Is there some kind of flashing that needs to be done on the card? Hope you can share your experience!

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Nov 2021 14:27 by Knuppel.

More
26 Nov 2021 07:48 #227626 by okmarts2
Our company is a engineering company. Sometimes, it will occur this circumstance.

More
26 Nov 2021 13:38 #227646 by tommylight
@okmarts2,
Since you are already politely spamming this forum, the least you can do is try to help.
Thank you.

More
26 Nov 2021 18:50 - 26 Nov 2021 18:50 #227671 by d2inventory

@okmarts2,
Since you are already politely spamming this forum, the least you can do is try to help.
Thank you.

This is obviously a spam bot you should just ban and delete all posts. It's always something quoted from the thread or nonsensical added with a "search term" to game search engines.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2021 18:50 by d2inventory.

More
26 Nov 2021 22:35 #227698 by tommylight
Pretty sure he is inserting model numbers for machine equipment, mostly made by ABB.

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds