Camera monitoring of the machine

More
03 May 2021 09:28 #207711 by Stormholt
Hello forum

I am looking for advice/suggestions to a camera to monitor the machine, especially when running a job. The camera does not need to have high resolution or any special features. The purpose of the video is to live stream it to monitor the job at a distance. At first on a local network but eventually on a global network to monitor anywhere.

We have gone and bought a FLIR AX8 camera. AX8 has a lot of nice, but at the moment not needed, features like thermal imaging. Whats really cool about it is that it hosts its own webserver. You can control its visuals using Ethernet/IP or TCP modbus( that does not really work). It can also host a RTSP stream to use for global monitoring.
The big problem is the amount of delay, there is a 1 to 2 second delay. I am looking for something with hopefully less than a second, something barely noticeable. I suspect the problem with the AX8 is its limited processing power and all these additional features cost time calculating aswell.

I hope there may be someone with camera suggestions or ideas to make this setup possible.
Thank you in advance
Stormholt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2021 16:08 #207730 by tommylight
Any DVR (digital video recorder) for security cameras will do, latency is better than 1-2 sec, but do not expect anything realtime over internet.
One important note if you go the DVR or now called XVR, do set it up using DDNS or a public IP address and delete the existing account that connects to HikVision (or other manufacturers) web servers in china or Korea as the latency will be terrible and so will quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stormholt

More
03 May 2021 22:56 #207762 by andypugh
You could try using Octoprint and a normal Raspberry Pi camera.

It's all a bit overkill if you are not using Octporint to load the G-code too, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stormholt

More
05 May 2021 14:04 #207970 by elovalvo
I think you can use the vlc (www.videolan.org) software by following the instructions below:

www.flir.com/support-center/Instruments/...-display-and-record/

More
05 May 2021 14:17 #207973 by Stormholt
Hej elovalo

Interesting guide! However i dont think it will make the AX8 perform better as it still have to make the calculations etc. Additionally i found a second datasheet( Why dont they just one :angry: ) that says the camera only runs at 9 fps. Which may be the true root of latency.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds