Linuxcnc on USB ethernet adapter

More
06 May 2021 18:08 #208144 by imslo
Will Linuxcnc run on a USB to ethernet adapter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2021 18:17 #208145 by PCW
maybe at a slow servo thread rate

More
06 May 2021 19:10 #208147 by imslo
Thank you for the reply.even though I don't know what it means. I'm running now on a 14 year old desk top just to have a parallel port.. It is beginning to give problems. I will not buy another obsolete computer to get a parallel port and the new laptops now do not even have an ethernet ports. I feel that ethernet will be obsolete shortly. I like Linuxcnc but I do not like having to run it on an old machine. If I can not not run with the adapter I guess I will have to look elsewhere. I am toying around right now with GRBL

More
06 May 2021 19:50 #208151 by PCW
Laptops are not usually a good choice for LinuxCNC
and pretty much 100% of all desktops/miniPCs etc have
Ethernet

More
06 May 2021 21:06 #208160 by tommylight
-PCI or PCI-E cards with a parallel port are 10-20$, most of them work with LinuxCNC out of the box, some will not work at all, namely the ones using software emulation.
-Some Fujitsu, HP, Dell, Enterprise PC's have a header on the MB, even the 2 or 3 year old ones.
-Mesa sells PCI, PCI-E and Ethernet cards that can do 2 parallel ports, but with much, much faster step rates. Also they can do a lot of other things. I use a lot of them.

As for USB to ETH, i have a very old one, the USB 1.1 version that works quite good for testing, not for actual machine control as it does drop the connection occasionally. USB 2.0 none of the ones i tested worked even for a short period. Not tested the USB 3 stuff yet, not worth it.

More
06 May 2021 21:14 #208162 by bevins
Get a 100.00 dell optiplex and be done with it. Mesa eth, and your good to go.

More
07 May 2021 00:35 #208170 by BeagleBrainz
Replacing Linuxcnc with GRBL is so many steps backwards.
What kind of issues ?
Have you given the internals a good clean ? Dust can be a PITA.
There is still some brand new mini itx boards that have parallel ports. I ran an Asrock J3355 board until I swapped to a Odroid H2. The Asrock Kit is still fine. It will probably run my lathe, do duty as a router or a mini file server or test rig of some sort.

More
07 May 2021 01:21 #208175 by Aaroncnc
a good option and a new one is to use Remora with linux cnc
Its uses a rpi4 and a 3d printer controller board the skr1.4
remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
I have been using it for a bit and its great.
a 4gb rpi plus a skr1.4 board and all in you are around 60-80$
and at the end if you decide to go another way you have a pi and a new 3d printer controller board.

I am so happy to get rid of my full tower pc for this micro setup and its better.

Time to create page: 0.948 seconds