3D printing

More
30 May 2021 02:10 #210653 by noqui
3D printing was created by noqui
Hi, is it possible to use linuxcnc for 3D printing? I used linuxcnc in my cnc, but adding a 4th stepper motor i have the hardware for 3D printing, but my doubt is if the software linuxcnc can be use for 3D printing. Thanks you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2021 18:34 #210713 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 3D printing
It can be used, and it has been done. There is, however, ongoing debate about how to coordinate the XYZ motions with the extruder. Currently motions in XYZ with an additional rotary motion fall-back to a single-segment lookahead planner, and the motion is not as smooth and fast as it would be without the extruder motion.

See this thread:
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...-application?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: noqui

More
30 May 2021 21:42 #210748 by noqui
Replied by noqui on topic 3D printing
Thank you andypough, i will have to investigate it. So it is possible. It would be great if we could find a kind of skin for configuring 3D printers.
Thanks a lot.
Diego

More
31 May 2021 23:55 - 20 Jul 2021 23:16 #210835 by Doogie
Replied by Doogie on topic 3D printing
Hi Diego/@noqui, myself and a few others are using LinuxCNC for 3D printing I believe I have figured out how to test if the planner is using a 1 segment buffer or a 50 segment buffer with 4 axis defined( XYZA ).

I used LightBurn to create a circle, set the fill operation to Offset Fill which makes lots of bigger and bigger circles and I also set the speed to 200mm/S.

With ARC_BLEND_ENABLE=1 it's really fast and when set to 0/disabled it does the fill much slower. I did not involve the A axis as I was expecting it to not work and then would remove it and see if it operated with the 50 seg buffer. Surprise, it was faster with the arc blend buffer.

It does print and work pretty good but does not have any extruder pressure or velocity compensation so it is not perfect.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2021 23:16 by Doogie.

More
01 Jun 2021 21:33 #210918 by Doogie
Here are 2 videos showing LInuxCNC arc blend buffer testing.

One with a 1 segment arc blend buffer size(arc blend disabled):

and a video showing LInuxCNC with a 50 segment arc blend buffer(arc blend enabled):

The controller is a SKR v1.4 turbo with TMC2208 drivers(TMC2209 also work).

The test file is attached.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Aciera

More
06 Jun 2021 03:17 #211274 by Doogie
I made some PCB cable adapter boards in KiCAD for both the MKS Sbase v1.3 board and the SKR v1.4/v1.4 turbo boards.

I uploaded and ordered boards today so not yet validated. “should” be ok since I made them to mimic the boards I made for the SKR board using perf-board and connectors listed in this schematic. You can see the DIY boards in the previous post. Lets you use a stock RepRap Smart Display ribbon cable with every other wire in the cable grounded.

dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/details/131...mks-skr-adapters-zip
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds