Problems with building Linux CNC source

More
06 Aug 2021 20:55 #217085 by smal
What is the difference between 2.8, 2.8.2 and master? I have downloaded master just 2 hours ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2021 23:32 #217092 by tommylight
2.8.2 is the latest public official release so no development is allowed, only bug fixes.
2.9 or Master is in development and new features are added often, can have bugs and issues and is not officially recommended for production use.

More
07 Aug 2021 01:40 #217096 by cmorley
The big difference right now is master requires python 3 libraries.
You can run either, but our recommendations for fixing problems are different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smal

More
07 Aug 2021 06:38 #217099 by smal
Ok. Than both of my downloads linuxcnc-dev and linuxcnc-master are the same -> version 2.9.0. And both have the same glade component problem starting the compiled application. Because 2.9.0. is experimental it is not suitable for me because I am looking for production software.
The official version of the software which I am using is 2.8.2-11-g6a3d0a434. This version works as expected except I can not recompile it or I do not know how. This is the version of the linuxcnc which is delivered with the installation of the LinuxCNC 2.8.2 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO.
The question here is: is also the source code for this version somewhere on the disc? If not how do I download exactly this version software package?
Again thank you very much to all of you which are helping me to solve this problem.

More
07 Aug 2021 07:19 #217102 by rodw

More
07 Aug 2021 07:41 #217103 by robertspark
I am having issues with gladevcp on the current buildbot master (since the change from python 2 to 3) so unless you want a hard time I would stay away from the CURRENT buildbot for master (2.9)..... it does depend on what GUI you are using though and it's dependencies (or if you are running any virtual control panels which have dependencies)... axis GUI will probably be 100% fine. Qt seems fine... Glade seems to be my problems at present

before the change from python 2 to 3 it was running very sweet with little issues that affected me.

if you do want to be on the bleeding edge almost.... then you can install the previous buildbot *.Deb files just PRIOR to the massive (imo) change from python 2 to 3 

​​​​depending upon how you have installed linuxcnc will depend where the code resides.  RIP / Run In Place all resides in one file and you compile it on your machine.  some of the code is compiled and some is run as scripts (such as the python code)

a buildbot install is precompiled as spreads the code out.

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/buster/

if you want to see the actual code then GitHub is the place to go, and depending upon the brach you select you can view that applicable version of the code
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc
master is the default branch when you arrive 

More
07 Aug 2021 07:49 #217104 by smal
The above mentioned link:
-> linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html
does not work with 2.8.2 because using this command:
-> git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev you get the newest 2.9.0 master version of the source code.
I have made it exactly as described in this document. The results are the problems which I am facing now.

More
07 Aug 2021 07:59 #217105 by smal
Hi Robert
Ok, we have identified the problem -> problems with gladevcp on 2.9.0 version of software.
I would like to go away anyway from 2.9.0 because is not production version. I would like to use 2.8.2 because the official version works fine. I only need source with the complete software package to compile. I would like to add my own c code in the package because I have some specific hardware attached to it.
I will try the whole procedure with 2.8 which is the 2.8.2 version anyway.

More
07 Aug 2021 08:12 #217106 by smal
Very well. Downloading 2.8 version, compiling it, starting the application and it works as expected.

More
07 Aug 2021 08:41 #217107 by robertspark
I was only discussing 2.9 as you asked what the difference was between versions.... and to sort of advise you to stay away at present as it will probably give you a headache in trying to figure out why it simply does not work from install with issues not related to your build / the build process

seems you are sorted with 2.8 which is the safe bet as it's stable.

(I only use master / 2.9 because I am using QTPlasmaC which has all the now minor improvements in it as things are now being finely honed.... if I were just using AXIS or Gmoccapy then I would stick with 2.8)

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds