(SOLVED) Absolute encoders not really a good solution found

More
16 Oct 2021 15:57 - 17 Oct 2021 10:57 #223304 by Marcking
Hello Guys, Im working with a Mesa 7i92 & 7i77 with servos and absolute encoders need to know how to config LinuxCNC to accept them for keeping the position after power on/off, as I saw on others topics a Home search is needed using HOME_ABSOLUTE_ENCODER but using only this in 0, 1 or 2 does nothing just keep placing machine zero where the axis phisically is located no matter what, for sure there is something I m doing wrong, a good simple explanation would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 17 Oct 2021 10:57 by Marcking. Reason: Solved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2021 18:34 #223310 by PCW
LinuxCNC needs the absolute position from the drive for this to work
A relative position from quadrature encoders will not work

More
17 Oct 2021 10:50 #223366 by Marcking
Thank you Peter, I have a drive with absolute encoder but not sure if the encoder output from the drive is it, ok confirmed now the drive's encoder output is not absolute I see now why this is not working at all.

More
21 Oct 2021 21:42 #223838 by andypugh
That sounds disappointing. Is there any way to get at the absolute data? Perhaps the drive gives a burst of pulses at power-on, for example?

More
22 Oct 2021 07:32 #223887 by Marcking
Hi Andy, according to the manufacturer the only way to get the absolute position is through Modbus and at this stage is easer for me to just install the switches for home. Thanks!

More
29 Jan 2022 19:47 #233473 by Lcvette
Andy,

I'm not sure if you are playing with this still or not, but turboss and I have probe basic pulling the absolute data via serial connection to the drives. for testing we can pull it in with a halbutton, but plan on writing some form of startup call to call it in at gui power on maybe link the power button or put it in code somewhere perhaps. We are testing currently on single turn encoders which are working great as long as they are powered up, but of course at power down it looses position. The scale is bang on consistent and works out to something nutty like 0.000003004 over 20in travel distance. The mfr also offers battery multiturn encoders with the same serial protocol. Hoping we can take the absolute position and feed it into the home setup.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds