Setting and reading linuxCNC variables externally

More
24 May 2022 14:40 #243694 by isdicnc
Hi,  I am new to the forum and linuxCNC.

I am in the process of building a CNC machine that uses LinuxCNC/Mesa 5i25 & 7i76 board/ with DMM servos. 

The machine I am currently working with is a HAAS gantry mill.  We wrote a G code program for the HAAS that communicates with a Linux box over a serial port. The Linux box interfaces with a laser and sonar measuring devices to map surfaces.  The HAAS allows me to read and write variables.  On the HAAS we use these variables to set the X/Y/Z axis and also a few semiphoress to keep the two processes in sync?

Does LinuxCNC have an equivalent way that I can read and set variables using an external program?

Thank you!

len

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2022 15:06 #243696 by andypugh
Probably....

Getting data into G-code variables is a bit clunky, you need to use the analog-input G-codes: linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m66

The data would need to be provided on a HAL pin, probably from a Python (or C) user-space HAL component:

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/hal/halmodule.html

More
24 May 2022 22:04 #243724 by isdicnc
I need more than a pin for X/Y/Z coords. :(

More
25 May 2022 00:35 #243735 by andypugh
You could use two pins. One saying what the data is (maybe a parameter number) and the other with the value.

There are other possibilities. It all rather depends on what you want, and to a large extent _when_ you want it.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds