Homebuilt Plasma Table

More
04 Feb 2023 18:53 #263690 by Jdog
Homebuilt Plasma Table was created by Jdog
Hi Folks,
I am new to this forum and new to the CNC plasma world, at least building one. Computers and electronics are my weakest points in this whole project. I've decided to go with Linux operating system along with Mesa 7i76E and THCAD 10 controllers after reading numerous discussions about CNC and now have questions and not sure if all can be answered here but here it goes
1 What version of Linux do i need to download. I hear with Linux there is a learning curve but not matter which way I go its going to be a learning curve anyway.
2 Most of my electronics and wiring are complete but i do need help wiring from my plasma cutter to controllers (hopefully someone has a wiring diagram to go off of). For now i have an Everlast 60S and from what i understand is that the voltage dividers can be an issue at the CNC port (incorrect readings) and that most wire directly inside the cabinet onto leads at the front of the cutter for raw arc voltage? I think all my wiring will need to be done inside the cabinet because there is no way after looking at how small these pins are that I'll be able to solder wires to these pins on the CNC port unless someone knows of a push on type connecter i can use for this. Also need help with a wiring diagram if possible with homing/limit switches. PNP type.
Thanks for now, feedback appreciated 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2023 19:18 #263696 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Homebuilt Plasma Table
Start off with the LinuxCNC installer, that will give you a complete working Linux system with LinuxCNC.

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/getting-st...etting-linuxcnc.html

More
05 Feb 2023 00:50 #263732 by Jdog
Replied by Jdog on topic Homebuilt Plasma Table
Awesome thank you

More
14 Feb 2023 16:57 #264513 by Jdog
So the version that is installed is 2.7.14 and I get an error message saying pic.conf encountered an error when trying to setup in the pncconfig wizard. I have read that a line can be changed to fix this but have really no idea where to go from here or how to change this. Any advice would be great

More
14 Feb 2023 17:07 #264514 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Homebuilt Plasma Table
I would recommend that you use at least version 2.9 of LinuxCNC which would allow you to use QtPlasmaC.  You can choose that GUI from  PNCConf which will make your life a lot easier.

If you're not married to what you just installed, I would consider this guide, which would walk you through most of the critical steps since it uses QtPlasmaC as the example GUI:

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ard-new-users#244902

More
14 Feb 2023 22:21 #264529 by Jdog
Thank you. This is all new to me and I will take your advice and install that version. My main goal for now is to make things come alive on the table and just get things moving but I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
15 Feb 2023 00:41 - 15 Feb 2023 00:42 #264541 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Homebuilt Plasma Table
With the everlast, the thcad senses the voltage incorrectly becasue it claims the everlast's scaling resistors.
From memory set the scaling in Linuxcnc to be 1.5 x the scale in the plasma cutter cnc interface. So set 16:1  on the cnc divider in the Everlast and set Linuxcnc = 24:1 with no scaling resistors.

I documented this here. www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=23700
Last edit: 15 Feb 2023 00:42 by rodw.

More
15 Feb 2023 16:18 #264563 by Jdog
I do remember reading about incorrect voltage with the everlast and your post on how to get around this. Also i connected all my wiring to the cnc port and did not open machine up to connect internally. Are there any known issues with this that i may encounter and as far as voltage divider inside the everlast i heard that it is pre set from factory at 16.1 already? or should i take apart and double check this. And my last question for now is with the thcad. It says in the manual that when powered up you should see a green led and a flashing yellow led on the thcad. I have a solid yellow led and a flashing yellow led. Having said that i do not have anything connected from the plasma cutter to the divider side of the board as of yet. Only the 5 volt side is connected at the moment..
Thanks again

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds