Can't wire DM556T to parallel port breakout board

More
06 Jun 2023 18:05 #273019 by Routerworks
I have attached some pictures of the Sainsmart parallel port breakout board and the DM556T driver from stepperonline.  The data sheet for the driver says the inputs are opto isolated so I tried wiring it both ways (sinking and sourcing from the breakout board) motor doesn't move.  attached the motor to a different driver the Leadshine DM860e and it rotates fine.  This one has me stumped.  I know the sainsmart is not a high quality board but I wanted to get things working before I put more money into it.  Built a 4' x 4' cnc router.  Using nema 23 (425oz) stepper motors.Could be the breakout board is not good but I looked at voltages and resistance pin for pin with the axis that works at is seems pretty close.  Not sure what I am missing short of buying a better breakout board.Any help would be appreciated especially If I am not seeing something in the wiring scheme of things.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2023 18:46 #273026 by PCW
Looks like the common + pins (white wire) are unconnected.
These need to be connected to +5V

More
06 Jun 2023 19:03 #273029 by tommylight
Also disconnect the enable from drive untill you get things working.
That is usually a disable on new-ish drives, so it's counter intuitive and causes headaches.

More
06 Jun 2023 22:19 #273042 by Routerworks
You are exactly correct. I did get it working in one direction after tripping upon a youtube site saying DM556 (no T whatever that means) requires 0 vdc on enable.
After attaching 5 vdc as you suggested to the looped plus terminal the skies parted and it all began to work fine in both directions.
I don't quite understand why it was working in one direction without the voltage applied to the loop but that's a discussion for another day. I wasted enough time on this. you would think it might be in bold letter on the data sheet for the driver.

Regardless,

Many thanks.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds