A contribution to the community: Fusion360 -> LinuxCNC tool table loader

More
21 Feb 2024 11:04 - 21 Feb 2024 17:23 #293903 by dmradford
I wanted a way to manage my tool library within Fusion360, then export those tools to LinuxCNC for use with my carousel tool changer, so with the help of ChatGP, I wrote this Tool Selector app in python. It loads in an exported tool library from Fusion, allows you to select which tools you want to add to your LinuxCNC tool.tbl file, and exports it. Important criteria: Ability to have pockets "Empty" and retain the correct pocket ordering for carousel. Ability to reorder tools and have the tool order persist across application sessions. Automatically include all manually changed tools even if they aren't selected for export - this one may be fairly unique to my solution as I defined that tools numbered 1-49 may be loaded into the carousel, but tools numbered 50 and above MUST be manually loaded into the spindle (This range however is configurable in ToolLoader.config).

This app does not currently transfer the X, Y, A, B, C, U, V, W, I, J, or Q parameters, primarily because I don't know what those are for and they're just all 0's in my tool.tbl files.

Big potential caveat is storing Z offset. I currently have it pulling the Z offset value from the comment field on the post processor tab of the tool editor in Fusion. While I haven't done it yet, I plan to build a reverse migration tool as well, to be able to update the Fusion tool library by way of the values in the tool.tbl file to transfer the z offset values back into fusion for storage.

github.com/dmradford/LinuxCNCToolLoader

Enjoy!
Last edit: 21 Feb 2024 17:23 by dmradford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2024 21:09 #293926 by dmradford
Just did a quick update to the app. I've added an Export All button that will export all tools in the carousel range. I've also added back-syncing the tool offset back into the library.csv in the tool comment field. So now re-importing the library into Fusion will show the tool offsets. But more importantly than that, it makes it so that if you load a tool, set the offset, then pull that tool out of the carousel - you don't loose the offset value.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds