installing Linuxcnc 2.9.2

More
10 Mar 2024 01:28 #295548 by Regor
I tried more than a year ago to install Linux cnc on the sd card and always produced a non bootable SD card. I am at that same point this time. Is there a better written dialog to make the SD card boot the RPi 4 after the RPi imager puts the image on the SD card. The imager always destroys the contents on the SD card prior to writing on the SD card.
The RPi imager itself or the balenaetcher will not produce a bootable SD card. Please send link that tells people with 4GB RPi 4 how to get booted up.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2024 02:27 #295552 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic installing Linuxcnc 2.9.2
linuxcnc.org/downloads/

The documented processes work. I have done this many times on both RP-400 (basivcally a RPi4 and the newer RPi5)

Unfortunately "does not boot" does not give a lot of information.

First off I would try a standard RPi image, to rule out a faulty SD Card.
If this doesn't work I would try a different SD card.
I would also check that the image has been downloaded with no errors.
I would also check the PSU.

I would read thru the RPi image announcement thread as this may provide so more information.

Sometimes the firmware may need updating, this is out of the scope of Linuxcnc, and the Raspberry Pi Foundation website has this informattion.

More
10 Mar 2024 08:59 #295563 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic installing Linuxcnc 2.9.2
I think the older 4b's don't like this installer. I can't  run this on my hardware. But first from the rpi imager try updating the firmware. If the screen flashes green it is installed.

More
12 Mar 2024 00:06 #295703 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic installing Linuxcnc 2.9.2
I retried the full linuxcnc_uspace image approach on an SD card known to run raspian, debian, etc on my RPi 4B using the latest RPi imager. It failed as usual to boot the RPi 4B.
Using the same micro SD card 32 GB sandisk, I used disk mgmt. on the Lenovo desktop with win 11 to make clean new volume at 32 GB FAT 32. Next came the option on RPi imager to choose
"2023-12-05-raspios-bookworm-arm64-full.img.xz" [ the 2,732MB version ]
as the operating system (downloaded from Raspberrypi.com). Of course the device was RPi 4. A bootable SD card was created. RPi 4B was booted!
Here is the simple part that I missed in all my efforts to put Linuxcnc on my RPi 4B.
At terminal window on RPi 4B:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace linuxcnc-uspace-dev

Linuxcnc was installed in the menu with how to manuals and appears to be fine. I am experiencing problems with apps that popup over the entire window and only a reboot will regain control of RPi. I will try a more stable version of RPi operating system next.

More
12 Mar 2024 00:10 #295704 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic installing Linuxcnc 2.9.2
The sequence of what to do came from bing search on the internet. AI maybe working!

More
12 Mar 2024 01:23 #295706 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic installing Linuxcnc 2.9.2
A simple search of this forum would have given you the instructions, including a link to a more "Raspbian" kernel.

As for AI......it would seem some implementations have an agenda, GIGO.

More
12 Mar 2024 07:13 #295721 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic installing Linuxcnc 2.9.2
This is all very well if you can live with a 12 month old version of linuxcnc. I think qtdragon will be very sketchy....

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds