Increasing Hal Scope Recording Length

More
13 Mar 2024 15:51 #295829 by Sockheaven
Hi All,
I've been a LinuxCNC user for a short while, finally had a reason to use the Hal Scope to debug an issue - what a great tool that is already present!

I am surprised by the support of so many channels - most commercial servo drives/fieldbus controllers can't even scope that much.  I was curious if there is a way to get more samples? it seems appears to have a fixed memory buffer and just divides the buffer by the number of channels.
I'm not sure what resource is being used here (if its just allocating a buffer in RAM or using a circular buffer to dump to the hard drive), but is there a configuration or way to increase the total number of samples I can record?

I would think there aren't really any resource limitations but that it was hard coded and left alone.

For now it looks like 16,000 Samples is the max, divided by the number of channels. If i want to record 4 channels at my fieldbus rate of 4kHz, then I can only retrieve 1 second of data - hoping to figure out how to extend this.

Best Regards,
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2024 16:25 #295832 by Hakan
Just start halscope with an extra argument, like halscope 80000
You might need to restart linuxcnc for it to take effect. Or rather, the halscope rt component... nah just restart linuxcnc.

More
13 Mar 2024 16:55 #295836 by Sockheaven
How do you do that?
I have been launching the Hal Scope from the LinuxCNC Gui (Machine -> Hal Scope).

I looked over my hal and ini files and not seeing any command defining the default value - how do I add a command line to update the buffer size?

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds