Is EMC the software I need, or should I look for s

More
11 Nov 2010 15:49 #5242 by andypugh
Mihara wrote:

Thank you. :) I expect there's no other documented work of similar nature anywhere?

The Hostmot2 stepgen driver does much the same thing.
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=blo...e3f5aaaddfb4;hb=HEAD
But that is written in C and is a little harder to read.

Basically your module would need to accept position commands and feedback where it thinks it has got to. It could optionally take timing parameters. That basically involves an internal count of current position, to be compared to the newly-commanded position. That is then converted to a step frequency request based on the assumed time that the function will next run. I guess there is then some correction applied for the actual time that the function next runs.
If you write the realtime module in comp then you can just use the predefined variable "period" for the calculations (it returns the time in nS since the function last run). The fact that EMC2 works in nS and the existing driver works in 20mS slices might tell you something...

The drives really aren't that bad by themselves, I expect, it's the software and the stock controller.

My impression is that they run at constant speed? That is very bad, as it means you can't cut curves.
If the drives can run at variable speed then I withdraw some of my criticism.

Russia. Which makes ebay really not a very good option because my local post office passionately hates me.

We seem to have a fair number of Russian users, and at least one developer/contributor. There may be more equipment available than you think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2010 16:22 #5245 by Mihara

My impression is that they run at constant speed? That is very bad, as it means you can't cut curves.
If the drives can run at variable speed then I withdraw some of my criticism.

With a single step translating into 0.002mm worth of motion, it is actually good enough to approximate a curve for most hobbyist purposes - certainly good enough for everything it's meant to be doing. I expect the drives can go faster, but the controller won't move them faster than 1024 steps per second.

We seem to have a fair number of Russian users, and at least one developer/contributor. There may be more equipment available than you think.

There probably is, but that's the device I have on my hands already. :)

More
11 Nov 2010 18:54 #5250 by Mihara
Upon further meditation, it appears to me that the simplest possible way to do it would be to connect my userspace python script to software step generator pins, pretend it's a type 2 stepper, and expose "up" and "down" pins for every motor, translating them into a command sent to the FTDI to do pretty much the same thing, and set the maximum velocity of stepgen to 500 units per second, which seems to be the fastest the controller will go in practice. This way I don't have to worry about computing coordinates either, as that will become stepgen's problem, I just need to cycle forever listening to the input pins, execute a command if a pin is set high, and do nothing otherwise.

I do wonder what happens if EMC expects to move two steppers simultaneously, though, because they obviously won't move simultaneously.

More
11 Nov 2010 19:58 #5251 by andypugh
Mihara wrote:

Upon further meditation, it appears to me that the simplest possible way to do it would be to connect my userspace python script to software step generator pins, pretend it's a type 2 stepper, and expose "up" and "down" pins for every motor, translating them into a command sent to the FTDI to do pretty much the same thing,.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think the timing will work. Your userspace module would have to "watch" the step pulses all the time, and if it misses one (as a userspace program is almost certain to do) every few seconds then the machine will drift away from where you think it is.

I think a realtime component that has 3 "position-command" pins is a better idea. That can stop and start all three sets of drivers as required. Typical update rate with EMC2 in the servo thread is every mS, which should give you acceptable dither.
Starting the motors from stopped straight to a fixed speed seems like a really bad idea, though. I am amazed it works at all. EMC has careful rate-shaping that this driving scheme will throw away.
Actually, perhaps not. At 1kHz servo thread, the commands are more likely to be "move this time, not this time, nor this time, ok this time" aren't they?

More
11 Nov 2010 20:39 #5253 by Mihara

andypugh wrote:
Actually, perhaps not. At 1kHz servo thread, the commands are more likely to be "move this time, not this time, nor this time, ok this time" aren't they?

Turns out it's 500Hz, actually, (some more arcanities popped up during experimentation) so - I think a userspace driver has a good chance, and, well, I've already finished it and I just need to set up a computer to try it on. :) It might be it'll go faster if I try to actually write a realtime component and talk to the device directly, instead of using a library, but that's a whole another meditation.

Trying to drive the steppers directly with the parallel port would certainly be more obvious, but that will tide me over until I can work out the schematics to do that... or until I mill all the parts for something entirely different.

More
12 Nov 2010 10:11 #5261 by andypugh
Mihara wrote:

I think a userspace driver has a good chance,

I still think that bit-banging USB on a P-Port pin in a reatime thread might be better. A servo-thread function could assemble the bytes to be sent into a buffer and a base-thread function could squirt the bits out as USB signals on a P-Port pin straight to the drive.

More
12 Nov 2010 15:29 #5269 by psha
disclimer: My view may be too optimistic and far from reality :)

It seem that FTDI chips are affordable soultion to low-speed bitbanging. I've digged Linux USB documentation a bit and it seem possible to create simple "realtime" component (yes, I hear voices about USB and realtime :) ) using async communication with FTDI chip (so we won't stuck in rt thread for a long time even if communcation is long).
I hope that 1ms latency is enough for transmitting single byte.

More
12 Nov 2010 16:03 - 12 Nov 2010 16:11 #5270 by andypugh
psha wrote:

disclimer: My view may be too optimistic and far from reality :)

It seem that FTDI chips are affordable soultion to low-speed bitbanging. I've digged Linux USB documentation a bit and it seem possible to create simple "realtime" component (yes, I hear voices about USB and realtime :) ) using async communication with FTDI chip (so we won't stuck in rt thread for a long time even if communcation is long).
I hope that 1ms latency is enough for transmitting single byte.

I have spent the last week or so working on an EMC2 realtime component that runs once a millisecond and copes with handshaking/timeout that can take 500mS. The way I am doing it is with a state machine that checks inputs/outputs, changes state if it needs to, and then exits. Something similar might work here.

I suspect that the FTDI hardware is effectively realtime. The bit of wire between the computer and the drive is. If you can do realtime USB at the EMC2 end then the "USB isn't realtime" argument isn't true.

A 1ms Servo thread and a 20uS base thread can send 50 bits per motion cycle with reasonably good timing. Do you know what the actual bit pattern on the physical wires needs to look like?

(Edit)

I have just realised that the post above was from psha (all you Russians look the same from here).

Also, p-port bit-banging can't handle even the slowest USB speed so is a non-starter unless the FTDI chip can be pesuaded to work at a different rate to standard.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2010 16:11 by andypugh.

More
12 Nov 2010 16:42 #5271 by psha
andypugh wrote:

I have spent the last week or so working on an EMC2 realtime component that runs once a millisecond and copes with handshaking/timeout that can take 500mS. The way I am doing it is with a state machine that checks inputs/outputs, changes state if it needs to, and then exits. Something similar might work here.

For USB you may offload this state on linux usb core. Just use URB to send requests and ensure that previous request is finished before sending next.

I suspect that the FTDI hardware is effectively realtime. The bit of wire between the computer and the drive is. If you can do realtime USB at the EMC2 end then the "USB isn't realtime" argument isn't true.

I hope that FTDI bitbanging may be fit in hard limits of 1KHz. I really don't know if this is really possible or not. FT232BM documentation states that internally it uses frequency up to 150KHz.

I have just realised that the post above was from psha (all you Russians look the same from here).

Bears, vodka and balalayka? :-P

More
12 Nov 2010 16:51 #5272 by andypugh
psha wrote:

Bears, vodka and balalayka? :-P

CNC-machined, nested, wooden dolls :-)
Actually, I wonder just how many levels you could get with a CNC lathe and the right wood?

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds