USB WiFi Adapter

More
18 Apr 2024 17:37 #298567 by randale
USB WiFi Adapter was created by randale
I need to purchase an USB Wifi adapter for an older mini computer that I am converting to LCNC.

What chipset (or specific adapter) should I be looking for to work with the stock 2.9.2 image that is available on the main page?

Thanks,

Randale 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2024 23:12 #298582 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic USB WiFi Adapter
It’s kinda hard to say which adapter to get, as manufacturers change chipsets so often.
TBH any wifi adapter that works with Debian will be fine. Best bet to get the most up to date info would be to search for Debian bookworm USB wifi, or something along those lines. There use to be a database of which wifi adapters worked with Linux, but not entirely sure if it’s still around.
Some of the Realtek chips can be a pain as they require building of the manufacturers driver.

This may help
github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi

More
19 Apr 2024 00:01 #298584 by randale
Replied by randale on topic USB WiFi Adapter
Thanks.

I wasn't sure if the Linuxcnc kernel was more restrictive in its support for wifi chipsets than the basic debian flavors.

I have a couple here now that are usually a pain to setup in Ubuntu.

Randale

More
19 Apr 2024 06:00 #298598 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic USB WiFi Adapter
"I wasn't sure if the Linuxcnc kernel was more restrictive in its support for wifi chipsets than the basic debian flavors."

As far as I know the RT kernel comes from Debian. You may have to search for what firmware to install. Some used to be in the "non-free" repos, but I think Debian may have relaxed this a bit.

TBH I've found installing hardware in Linux now is far quicker & easier than Windows. If the driver & firmware are on the system there is nothing to do, some times a third party kernel module may need installing or a DKMS package installed but that's about it, unless the hardware is bleeding edge or quite obscure.

Take for instance the printer I bought last year, Windows 10 required a good 30 odd minutes to do it's thing, my Mint machine picked it up as soon as it came up on the network and it was ready to use.

Tho to tell the truth I may only use Windows 10 once a month or so. So maybe it's a lack of Windows experience. I think Vista was the last windows release I used regularly. The only time I have to use windows, XP, is to use an old Parallel Port Needham EEPROM programmer. And that can be done via Virtual Box with a Linux host.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Apr 2024 19:44 #298662 by randale
Replied by randale on topic USB WiFi Adapter
Thanks.

That github list is quite nice. I found a cheap nano adapter to try. Now, I'm going to see if I can get Linuxcnc installed and working on an ebay special HP Elitedesk 800 G2...

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds