RTAPI error and realtime delay at EMC launch

More
27 Dec 2010 14:18 #6267 by hcb
Cool, thank you. That looks cheap enough (110 pounds...maybe 150-170 US). I'll give it a go when I get my CNC plasma table built.

--HC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2010 14:25 #6268 by hcb
Andy, that occurred long after the system was booted. I had the system booted and had logged in to this site to read your and John's posts and had already started then terminated the latency test once (as listed in a previous post by me at the time I did it) and then, after doing a test of setting the latency to 40k as you requested, I restarted the Latency Test. I let it run since that day (5 maybe 7 days). The screensaver would have kicked on a few times (Matrix), I have done some random web searches when I was closer to this system than any of my others, and that's it. It was way past boot time when I started the test.

I know nothing about building custom kernels. I think the system has some weird anomaly and I don't know what to do next. I've tried all kinds of changes to the BIOS to turn things off or tweak settings and no luck.

It's not a big deal. It would have been nice to be able to use this system but if not, I have a couple of other computers I can try. If all else fails, John posted some good results with that Intel Atom board so I'll build one.

I appreciate the help and time. I don't like to give up on a problem but this has gotten to the point that it's more trouble than it's worth.

--HC

More
27 Dec 2010 14:58 #6269 by BigJohnT
Fortunately SheetCam has a try before you buy plan and I recommend this to start.

Dry disabling the screen saver, on one computer this gave me a horrible spike in latency.

Also read this

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?FixingSMIIssues

John

More
27 Dec 2010 22:17 #6274 by hcb
Thank you, John. I will do the try before you buy when the time comes (I'm still designing the gantry for the plasma table).

I had gotten a link to that page from Andy and had tried to disable SMI but got the message:

error inserting (path to rtai_smi.ko): -1 No such device 2641

Searching for that message online (google.com) gave me few results (including a couple of links to this thread) and nothing that seemed relevant to my problem (inexact matches for parts of the search string which finally was: error inserting (path to rtai_smi.ko).

Gonna move to the next Linux fodder...I've got a Dell that gave me some trouble (going to go back and see what it was...I forget now)...then I have an HP Pavilion with a P4 and one with a Celeron. If I don't get one that will work (or I get bored playing with this stuff) I'll build a system based on the board you liked and have had good results with.

As for the screensaver, I could disable it but the instructions for the Latency Test said to "abuse the machine" so I thought that would have been a good test since I don't have GLXGears.

Thanks again.

--HC

More
29 Dec 2010 03:13 #6299 by hcb
Some more progress, some more information. I'm taking the time to post this so maybe it will help someone else some day.

I remembered why I didn't use the Dell...no onboard parallel port. The addon card I had was not recognized by Ubuntu 10.04 and I could not find drivers for it.

Next up was the HP P4 I mentioned in my last post. HP a1320y, as I recall, P4 D 3Ghz, 1.5 GB RAM. What a colossal failure. First, the system hung on bootup (POST, not Ubuntu) with my kick-butt Gigabyte video card. Hmm, okay, back to the factory onboard card. I had a SATA drive in the system. Loaded the Live CD with U10.04. Latency from HELL. Servo thread was showing numbers in the 600,000 range and up almost immediately whether I ran the test immediately after bootup or half an hour after bootup. Actually doing things like opening Firefox and moving windows on screen gave me over 700,000 for servo thread and, regardless of usage, I got over 300,000 for base thread. Attempting to disable SMI (System Management Interrupt or whatever) did not work. :angry: F* F* F*

Hmm. Okay, I was using the same HD from the other problem-child I'd originally posted about. I grabbed a EIDE WD 40GB 7200 RPM disk I had laying around and tried that. It was magical. My servo thread jumped to over 1,000,000...with some results over 2,000,000 and higher base thread numbers, too. Not a happy camper.

I read about the SMI problem and about it being included with some Intel chipsets. So, I decided, fine, I'll give Ubuntu and old PC and see what happens (maybe an older system wouldn't have the SMI on it).

I have a system that is about 8 years old I guess. P4 1.8 Ghz, single core. I had tried to mix-n-match RAM and had 1.75 (roughly) GB installed...1GB stick, 512MB stick, and a 256MB stick but that didn't work, the system only saw the 768MB. No biggie. Latency tests showed < 35,000 for the servo thread...even though it's running on a litter-mate WD 40 GB 7,200 RPM drive and on the onboard video. I shut the system down and removed the 512 and 256MB sticks and the system then used the 1GB stick. Latency times dropped a little more (maybe because the 1GB stick is PC3200 IIRC and the 768 combined sticks were PC133). Now running the test for 10 minutes+ showing servo thread latency of 32,405. MUCH improved over the HP with the dual core P4 and 1.5 GB RAM with a SATA drive (or the EIDE drive). Go figure that one out. :blink:

The motherboard in this old system is an ASUS P4S533-MX.

Latency on this system is: Servo 99,308 and Base 32,405.

EMC2 loads with no errors about latency or RTAI and Axis runs/loads fine.

So, I'm wondering...if the SMI stuff is only prevalent on Intel chipsets (and maybe I'm being ignorant of chipset manufacturers here), why couldn't I (we) try using a system based on an AMD processor? Do they use Intel chipsets? Sorry, lonnnnng time, no hardware monkeying.

I am considering just buying one of the Intel D510MO that BigJohnT has had good luck with. This stuff with Ubuntu/EMC2 was supposed to help me with a grassroots approach to CNC but it's being a pain with the hardware problems I've had.

Thanks to those who have helped me. I hope this will give a little back.

--HC

More
29 Dec 2010 15:02 #6312 by hcb
A little more about this system's performance.

I left the Latency Test running all night. Last night I kicked off the install for Open Office suite. This morning I let Update Manager download and install about 215 updates for a total of about 173 MB. While that downloaded and installed I searched for computer parts (for a new Linux box and a replacement hard drive for one of my laptops).

I went to amazon com, newgg com, walmart com, intel com, and some result sites I found with google com. I had as many as 6 browser (Firefox) windows open, some with multiple tabs, all while the downloading and installing was running. They system is fun-fast to use, but it's usable. However, the Servo thread reports 74,000 at this time for the max and Base thread reports just under 35,000. Up until a few minutes ago they were both under 20k. I suspect that the jump came when the updates finished and Firefox notified me that it needs to be restarted.

Much better than the P4 dual core HP a1320y I had up on the desk before with 1M+ for Servo and comparatively high Base thread.

I ordered:

Intel D510MO motherboard N82E16813121399
Crucial 4 GB memory kit N82E16820148160
Western Digital Caviar *black* N82E16822136320
Rosewill 500W power supply N82E16817182076
Rosewill case N82E16811147023
HP external DVD/CD ROM N82E16827140077

I have a few internal DVD/CD drives around but elected to buy an external with the hopes I can use it to reload the OS on my Dell Mini 9 which has no optical drive. I also already have the header connector for the parallel port so I didn't need to order one of those.

Total came to $338.64 including UPS 3 day shipping to north central Texas.

I'll build it when it arrives and post my results.

--HC

More
29 Dec 2010 17:52 #6314 by psha
Just FYI
Setups on D510MO boars are happy with 65W power supplies -- board is eating ~20-25W :)
So 500W supply is overkill :)

More
29 Dec 2010 20:43 #6318 by andypugh
I am running with a 20W PicoPSU and using a 4GB DOM SATA solid state drive. No moving parts at all.

More
12 Jan 2011 04:35 #6639 by hcb
Well, I like to go big or stay home. And the extra power will help with the flux-core capacitor I'm developing for my CNC plasma table. <GRIN>

Honestly, I didn't even consider the power consumption of the board or other components when I ordered the PS; I just wanted something that worked, having the necessary connectors for a modern motherboard (compared to my antiquated PS's from old systems). I'm now running on that system (just assembled it this evening and this is my first boot since load about 20 minutes ago). I would agree that the PS is overkill in at least the fact that it has no less than 6 power connectors I'm not using (about 5 SATA IIRC and a couple of four-pin connectors for PCI-E and maybe a couple others). But it's working...and I suppose that if the devices aren't pulling the current then the wall-draw should be less than the max the PS is rated to put out/pull.

My major concern with selecting a PS was simply that I wanted it to fit into the case I bought and I wasn't sure what different standards were at play these days (it's been 10 years now since I built a computer from scratch, having switched to just buying Dell or HP computers).

I'm off to write up my findings on the new system (trying to help others who might come along and read this).

B)

--HC

More
12 Jan 2011 04:43 #6640 by hcb
What happened to when guys bragged about how big and powerful things were? :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds