help understanding the difference ...

More
28 Jul 2011 03:14 #11940 by 1:1
I thought with the IRC that I'd get responses faster than here - but the forum seems a bit more on-topic and coherent (instant messaging can be a bit scattershot ...)

But yes, totally agree that the community here is one of the best I've found in all other forums/interests I've been involved in (the other is APUG.org if there are any film/analog photographers here ?)...

I learn well by teaching, often by pushing something out of my head I see it more clearly - god help the people the teaching is directed at though ! I hope eventually, if this all works and I have the sense all fleshed out to contribute to the forum in the same helpful spirit that others have done for me ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2011 12:09 #11947 by BigJohnT
cmorley wrote:

Chris M

And boy can anyone extend the timeout for posting messages? That is so annoying that you can't get your l o n g message back if you timeout.

Chris,

I have the session timeout for the forum set to 4hrs... there must be something else maybe with Joomla that is timing out. Do you have any idea about how long it took to time out? That might help me find the setting that I need to change. I almost missed this as I had quit reading this thread...

John

More
28 Jul 2011 12:17 #11949 by andypugh
1:1 wrote:

I thought with the IRC that I'd get responses faster than here - but the forum seems a bit more on-topic and coherent (instant messaging can be a bit scattershot ...))

The forum can be good, but only if you actually ask a question (many people seem to log in, say hi, and never ask a question) and if there is someone online and reading who knows the answer. In that case it is the best of the three options.
The mailing list can be very good for considered answers from a wide range of participants.

More
28 Jul 2011 13:21 #11955 by photomankc
I believe those are meaningless to HAL. They are for visual reference only. Just like a physical wire, you can't impart directionality to it. It connects the two sides together. Which one is an output and which one is an input controls what goes on over the wire. You can completely leave them out and HAL will be just fine with it.

More
28 Jul 2011 23:19 #11974 by 1:1
photomankc wrote:

I believe those are meaningless to HAL. They are for visual reference only. Just like a physical wire, you can't impart directionality to it. It connects the two sides together. Which one is an output and which one is an input controls what goes on over the wire. You can completely leave them out and HAL will be just fine with it.

Yup, I know that now that I was forwarded to a manual that explained that part ...

For someone who doesn't know this you could assume that the arrows were imparting some form of directionality (boundaries blurred between simulation/abstraction and mirror of real hardware) .... that combined with the coding experience I've had, which has been an experience of frustration with syntax errors and flow control mayhem when you dont take care of every last keystroke - you can probably understand why I wanted to get to grips with the inequalities before I continued ... ;)

More
29 Jul 2011 05:19 - 29 Jul 2011 05:20 #11978 by cmorley
gee John
I swear the timeout is about 15 mins but have not timed it. certainly not hours.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2011 05:20 by cmorley.

More
29 Jul 2011 09:38 #11981 by andypugh
I try to remember to select_all - copy a long message before hitting send, so I can recreate it if it all goes wrong.

More
29 Jul 2011 13:54 #11989 by BigJohnT
cmorley wrote:

gee John
I swear the timeout is about 15 mins but have not timed it. certainly not hours.

I'll keep looking for the magic setting then.

John

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds