8i20 for sx2 BLDC Motor

More
18 Jul 2012 20:12 #22154 by johnjsb
i was wondering if it was possible to run a sx2 bldc motor with a 5i25/7i76/8i20.
my controller got screwed up by cnc upgrade from LMS so now it just runs wide open.
when i contacted them about it they said yeah its no good were pulling it from site.
great i just did this yesterday and had it in a box for 3 months.
so at any rate i'm trying to figure out another way. the 8i20 is $239 and a new controller is $215.
seems like there might be more people in the same boat i'm in.
The motor has WVU and hall SA-SB-SC-GND-5V. Not sure how to config or to hook halls up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2012 00:23 #22159 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:8i20 for sx2 BLDC Motor
I can only comment on PNCconf :
There is some work done for using the 8i20 and the bldc component, but it is not finished or tested.
I don't have the hardware and it's not been a common request yet.
PNCconf will do most of the work but the final connections will need to be done manually.
The BLDC component has many options so I would expect a fairly speed learning curve (also based on questions asked on the maillist)
Andy is the guy who wrote the BLDC component = I'm sure he will chime in and help if he can.

If you do try this I would certainly be interested in info so I can finish PNCconf's 8i20 connections

Chris M.

More
19 Jul 2012 11:58 #22182 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:8i20 for sx2 BLDC Motor
johnjsb wrote:

i was wondering if it was possible to run a sx2 bldc motor with a 5i25/7i76/8i20.

Do you know what the input power is to the original control?
What is the working voltage/current of the motor?

The problem with using the 8i20 is that it requires at least 35V DC to operate. It would normally be used at rather more than that, mine are running at 300V.
High voltage supplies are relatively easy to make (rectified mains and a capacitor) but the required capacitors are not especially cheap.

It looks like the original sx2 drive is powered from AC mains?

More
19 Jul 2012 16:39 #22214 by johnjsb
Replied by johnjsb on topic Re:8i20 for sx2 BLDC Motor
the mains are 120VAC the motor is 500watt 230V 2.8A the model number is W80-500WC.
I cant find where the actual motor was made i assume seig makes it in house just for the sx2.
i'm not afraid to try this out, matter fact if you guys want to pursue this i'll buy it.
I can wire it up on a bench point a web cam at it then let you guys vnc to my machine to tweak it.
not sure how linuxcnc would react to vnc but its worth a shot. my latency is between 3000 and 10000.
i would think that since the 5i25 is in control there is a min of interference.
so what kind of safety do you think i need for such an op. lets say the main fuse needs to be 6 amps for main power feeding a 120v to 220v transformer.
in the software we tell pncconf 2 amps from the 8i20(if the 8i20 goes that low).
if i were to use say a 4amp fuse on the mains that should hard limit the drive so it couldn't burn up if there was a software glitch.
i have a blown fuse indicator on the fuse holder so you could see if there was something wrong. or me when i get to the shop.
i could put a piece of tape on shaft or the dial that went on the hand crank from the mill.
would there be a need to power down mains from one of the gpio pins from the 7i76?
tell me what you think so far.
by the way i happened to be right in the middle of trying to use my cad station over the internet.
there is some very interesting things happening with vpro in an i7 look up citrix and access to bios from the internet.
www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/subf...sp?contentID=2323167
I'm going to be testing this out soon, one of the guys i'm working with has tried it useing his mac and iphone to control solidworks, says its very responsive.

More
19 Jul 2012 17:24 - 19 Jul 2012 17:24 #22216 by andypugh
johnjsb wrote:

lets say the main fuse needs to be 6 amps for main power feeding a 120v to 220v transformer.

Initially I wouldn't bother with a transformer. There is a good chance you will get the speed you want with rectified 120V. (I doubt that the original drive has any step-up).
You will need to add a rectifier and capacitor PSU though.

One fly in the ointment is that the 8i20 prefers to work with sinusoidal commutation, I am not sure how much it likes working from Hall-sensors only.
(perhaps I should add a tracking filter based position-interpolated to bldc..)

We might need a statement from PCW on this one.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2012 17:24 by andypugh.

More
19 Jul 2012 17:37 - 19 Jul 2012 17:41 #22217 by johnjsb
what do you think of this encoder does everything one could ever want for $38.
www.cui.com/Product/Resource/PDF/AMT303.pdf
so would you use commutation, incremental,and index.
how would do you hook that all up.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jul 2012 17:41 by johnjsb.

More
19 Jul 2012 19:29 - 19 Jul 2012 19:30 #22221 by andypugh
johnjsb wrote:

what do you think of this encoder does everything one could ever want for $38.

No need to use a commutation encoder, as there are Hall sensors in the motor already.

What is the gearing between the motor and the spindle?

I am rather tempted to add an "angle-interpolated" pin to the bldc component, then you ought to be able to use the 8i20 happily.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2012 19:30 by andypugh.

More
19 Jul 2012 20:15 #22223 by johnjsb
i have both 1 to 1 and 2 to 1 timing pulley, top speed 5000rpm at spindle using this motor.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds