Pncconf Bug

More
10 Mar 2013 23:32 #31183 by BigJohnT
Pncconf Bug was created by BigJohnT
Hi Chris,

We noticed a bug with Pncconf while chatting on the IRC. The [HOSTMOT2] section in the ini is not used by the loadrt hm2_pci line and that leads to quite a bit of confusion when trying to trouble shoot.

Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2013 07:22 #31194 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Pncconf Bug
It's not a bug - it was a choice I made.

IMO It is easier to read / understand the HAL file if you can read the actual pin names rather then a substitution name.
Particularly if you have two Mesa boards.

I could get rid of the [HOSTMOT2] entry in the INI if you think that would help.
(it does say in the INI it is for info only)

Chris M

More
11 Mar 2013 18:20 #31211 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Pncconf Bug
Having the [HOSTMOT2] section in the ini and not using it is buggy. If someone pastebin's their ini file on the irc or here and you make suggestions to change it assuming that it is used and it doesn't work everyone is scratching their head and wondering what is broken. Even though is says it is for info only it is not commented out so one naturally assumes it is used and wonders what that means...

I feel the same way now that I understand and know what the hal file is. I don't think first timers should have to look in several files for configuration settings even though I personally do it the same way as you for my machines.

John

More
13 Mar 2013 11:35 #31309 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Pncconf Bug
I will remove it from the INI file then.

More
13 Mar 2013 17:37 #31317 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Pncconf Bug
Thanks, can you just put a note in the ini file that the hostmot2 configuration is done in the hal file. That would give a newbee a heads up on where to look.

John

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds