7i77 questions....

More
14 Mar 2013 08:27 #31372 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic 7i77 questions....
When I was bench testing my first 7i77 setup. First I hooked up 1 motor encoder (nothing else) and spun the motor by hand to see the DRO move. (twas very gratifying to see the numbers move). Then I connected on drive to the motor and the 7i77. For me making the the connections from drive to 7i77 was much simpler and less of a problem than the drive to motor. Getting the commutation right was not completely straight forward since the motors and drives were from different manufacturers. A couple tech support calls to the drive manufacturer were required to get their procedures for setting up the proper commutation settings. After some fiddling I had good enough movement I felt confident putting stuff on the machine and start tuning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2013 09:14 #31379 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 7i77 questions....

The 5V MPG _will_ work on the field inputs if the MPG encoder option is enabled. (this option provides inputs for 2 MPGs on some field input pins)

This involves setting the 7i77 into mode 3. I rather suspect that PNCConf has no idea how to do this.

For the time being it might be best to accept that it is possible, and come back to it when you want to hook up the MPG. The mode is described on page 17 of the 7i77 manual which also says which pins are used.

More
14 Mar 2013 09:37 #31381 by PetefromTn
Replied by PetefromTn on topic 7i77 questions....
Thanks guys for the ideas, honestly I think I will just use the encoder inputs on the 7i77 for the MPG right now since they apparently will supply the 5v needed that way and if down the road I get a trunnion table or something and want to play with a fifth axis (probably never happen) I will source a 5v post and hook it into the input sides of the board. It is not that big of a deal at this point if ever.

Tomorrow I will be putting the cables together for the drives I/O harness and then I can maybe start working on hooking the motors and drives up for a test run. I received my dual disk couplers today as well as I installed a dual USB panel mount assembly in the pendant for my keyboard and any USB flash drive or other toys I might want to add down the road. Still a long way to go here with this but I really appreciate all the ideas and assistance. Peace

Pete

More
16 Mar 2013 02:03 #31466 by Connor9220
Replied by Connor9220 on topic 7i77 questions....
Hey Pete,

I was going to get those xml files fixed for you last time I was over.. but we just didn't get a chance to fire up the computer. simple sudo su and the password and you would be good to be able to copy those files. Be sure you use the latest copy of them. I did check with the guy who used the PNCConf file, and Andy is dead on.. it's not setup to use mode 3. What I would do, is use the PNCConf program to get a initial config up and going, then we go in a modify it as needed manually.. which were going to have to do anyway. I have a idea on your 5v supply for the encoder.. Your PC is in the same enclosure as the MPG.. so you can pull a 5v off of one of the Hard Drive connectors and run it down. I just looked a picure of the encoder and see if it has A and A- B and B-.. So, it's differential encoder.. So, *IF* you use a FPGA Encoder input vs the Field I/O MPG input. You can run those in as well.. Helps fight electrical noise.

Also, the 7i77x1 vs 7i77x2 is 1 7i77 vs 2 7i77's.. I don't think you need to use the x2 option.. again, this is from the guy who wrote the PNCConf program.. I did lots of research a while back on all of this and played around with stuff on my linuxcnc simulator. :)

Thanks, Billy

More
16 Mar 2013 02:45 #31471 by PetefromTn
Connor,
Yeah man I appreciate it, already got it all sorted out here. The new firmware is already installed and I could see the 5i25 option as well as the 7i77 options in the Pncconf setup program. Today I finished the soldering of the final CN1 connector on the drives to the harnesses so I should be able to start testing the motors here very soon. I am ordering the final relays needed for the machine tonight and they will probably be here by wednesday I would imagine. Temporarily I will be wiring up one of the drives so I can test the cables with motors on a bench behind the machine. Got the dual USB setup installed and everything is moving along nicely. I will be working on the machine all weekend.... I used the 7i77x2 (yeah I knew what it was) because of something I read here on the forum from John where it apparently gives you some options even if you are using one 7i77 for something but I cannot remember the details. If you set it up for only one 7i77 those options are not enabled apparently.

As far as the encoder yeah that is what me and art had talked about before. I could take it from the computer if necessary and actually might anyways. I mean I have 32 inputs and 16 outputs available so no shortage there and it will leave me a possible fifth axis if I want down the road in case I get real crazy and want to make some kinda tilting trunnion LOL.... Probably not but hey I like to leave my options open whenever possible. The encoder can be and actually was run single ended in the original control so it can be wired either way... That's what I'm really lovin' about linuxCNC/MESA combo it is so unbelievably adaptable.... Cannot wait to get motors turning here soon. Oh and not sure if you saw my posting down the page but my build thread is in the CNCmachines forum now on the LinuxCNC forum. Peace

Pete

More
16 Mar 2013 08:18 #31481 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 7i77 questions....

As far as the encoder yeah that is what me and art had talked about before. I could take it from the computer if necessary and actually might anyways.

There is a handy 5V supply on every USB port.

More
16 Mar 2013 08:20 #31482 by PetefromTn
Yes Andy....there certainly is!! LOL make anything interesting lately? peace

Pete

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds