Replacing G201 with G203V?

More
16 Apr 2013 01:53 #32767 by customcutter
Last Friday while trying to determine if I had a problem with the driver, stepper, or amount of torque to move the X axis. I did something really dumb. :whistle: I unplugged the stepper motor lead from the back of the break out board while the power was on. I saw the flash and figured I had fried the driver. I turned off the power and plugged the motor leads back in and powered it up. Everything worked fine. I did some more testing, finally determined that I needed to redo the mechanical part of the X axis. I redid that and let it sit overnight and the next morning I started test/tuning the X axis. Ran the table back and forth several times on the X axis, and decided to start test/tuning on the Y axis. I worked on that for a while and decided to go back to the X axis. Nothing, couldn't get it to move. Turned off the power this time and moved the X axis stepper motor to the Y axis, it worked fine. So I pulled the cover off of the controller and checked the fuse. It was blown, so I tried replacing with a "fast blow", LED came on very briefly. Replaced the fuse with a "slow blow" fuse and again the LED came on very briefly. I checked the driver and have 2 blown mosfets so according to Geckodrives website, the driver is unrepairable.

Spoke to Marcus at Geckodrive and he recommended upgrading from the G201 to the G203V. More bullet proof, fused, on-board protection, etc.

I noticed that the G201 common polarity: signal ground or +5VDC

the G203V common polarity: signal ground.

Will I have to change anything on the board that the G203V plugs into? Or will I have to change anything on the pncconf?

thanks,
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2013 05:07 #32770 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Replacing G201 with G203V?
I would just skip the board and wire the G203v direct or trace the wires out to make sure your wired up correctly.

John

More
17 Apr 2013 20:38 #32838 by customcutter
I've looked at the wiring in the manual and the G201 and G203V appear identical. I'm thinking when I change the selection in pncconf that it will take care of the signal???

I registered on the Geckodrive forum, and as soon as I get "approved" I plan on posting the question there. I'll post back here if any thing is different.

thanks,
Ken

More
24 Apr 2013 01:55 #33084 by customcutter
Parts finally came in late last week, and getting back on this project. (still waiting approval on the gecko forum).

I placed the two manuals side by side and was comparing the wiring on them the only difference I see is that on pin #10 (common) on the 201 it is +5VP. On the 203V it is controller ground..

When I switch the wire from pin #10 from pin #6 on the 7i76 TB2 to pin #1, I will also have to switch my step and dir signals from 0- to 0+ pins.

Is this correct???
It doesn't say that in the manual, but I can't see ground signal working with a ground signal??? But, i was wrong on this once before, hence the question.

thanks,
Ken

More
31 May 2013 05:28 #34997 by customcutter
Every thing was wired correctly according to my assumptions. The new 203 had reversed polarity on the common and on the step dir . I reversed all the polarities and everything looked good. However, what I did not realize was that the common on the back of board connected all 4 axis together. I should have checked with a DVM. I sent the drives into Gecko to see if they could be repaired. I got word today that they are shipping out in the AM. The original 201 that I unplugged under current is DOA. One had a blown optoisolator due to short on the board of common +/-. The other apparently suffered no damage.

The great news is that even though I am not the original purchaser, or have any idea of how old these gecko's are they evaluated, repaired and are shipping back to me at no charge. I told them how I had damaged everything and they still went the extra mile. (Except for the one that I DOA'dj, and had bought a replacement 203V for). Can't beat that kind of customer service.

Ken

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds