5i25+7i77 PNG - only the one card, which profile?

More
13 Sep 2013 00:38 #38706 by green751
Hi, all;

I've just gotten my new 5i25/7i77 kit and installed it in my nice, fast new low power PC board's PCI slot. So far, so good.

The latest (as of two weeks ago) linuxcnc distribution is installed. I downloaded the 5i25.zip file from mesanet.com, and moved the appropriate files to /lib/firmware/hm2/. Pncconf shows the option to select the 5i25 board and create tabs for it, which is good. However, a couple of questions:

Which pncconf card profile should I use? I see various ones for eg. 7i77x2 and 7i77+7i76, but not one for just a 7i77 card? I suspect it doesn't matter as long as I pick a profile with the 7i77 "first" except that I'll end up with extra non-existant pins showing up in pncconf's tabs.

In that case, how can I get pncconf to show only the pins that exist on the 7i77 board, by editing the .pin and .xml files in the firmware directory?

Do you recommend using pncconf for ongoing configuration (I'm getting servos/limits working first, followed by eventually an MPG, 4th axis, etc) or should I just generate a basic profile for the 5i25/7i77 and then hand edit from there on out?

Finally, I'm guessing I should leave the firmware on the 5i25 alone unless otherwise directed?

Thanks,
Erik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2013 01:55 #38708 by BigJohnT
The setup wizards are good up to get you started. It's best to know how to edit your configuration files as at some point you will exceed the wizards power.

I prefer to start with the basic 7i77 config and hand edit.

Some tips here about 5i25 and 7i77:
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/configs/index.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: green751

More
13 Sep 2013 03:46 #38711 by green751
Some excellent info and examples. Thanks!

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds