firmware 5i25,7i85,8i20 brushless servo drive

More
05 Mar 2014 04:10 - 05 Mar 2014 05:34 #44412 by johns00056
I downloaded some firmware, per previous posts on this forum, but I am not seeing the exact combination of boards that I am using. Would someone kindly point me toward the correct firmware, or suggest alternate boards to use on the pncconf wizard.

I am completely new to linux and would like to concentrate my learning efforts in the right direction.

I have a 3 axis mill with brushless servo motors and a MPG. I bought 5i25, 7i85 and 8i20 at the suggestion of the tech guy at Mesa ,over the telephone.

I would like to get one axis working,for now, and worry about the fancy stuff later.

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Mar 2014 05:34 by johns00056.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2014 07:41 #44421 by PCW
Its unlikely that pncconf will be able to handle this combination of cards
so you will have to start with an example servo hal file and modify it to suit

More
05 Mar 2014 12:31 #44423 by cmorley
Peter is right PNCconf doesn"t handle the 7i85 yet and I have never tested the support for the 8i20.

Sorry about that.

Chris M

More
05 Mar 2014 20:55 #44436 by johns00056
Thanks for the responses . I will get to work figuring out how to do it manually.

More
05 Mar 2014 22:10 #44441 by andypugh

Thanks for the responses . I will get to work figuring out how to do it manually.

I am using a broadly similar setup (except that all the cards are different, 5i23, 7i49, 7i44). I will post my config when I get home.

Setting up the bldc component to commutate properly will be a good part of the effort. You probably want to set the motors up disconnected and make them run smoothly at the same speed in both directions first.
Do the motors have hall sensors?

More
06 Mar 2014 11:14 #44475 by Todd Zuercher
I am surprised that it is not supported. I am pretty sure I used PNC config to start the setup for my 7i85S configuration, but it is a slightly different animal.

More
06 Mar 2014 20:45 #44494 by johns00056
The encoder has commutation channel for an 8 pole motor. I replaced the original Fanuc encoder with a Danaher, Dynapar series f15 2048 ppr. and index pulse. It cost about $210.00. I only bought one. If it works I will get 2 more.

I did see a video, on the enc- users- request e-mail list , of someone using a standard fanuc encoder but I have no idea of how they did it.

More
06 Mar 2014 21:11 #44496 by andypugh

The encoder has commutation channel for an 8 pole motor. I replaced the original Fanuc encoder with a Danaher, Dynapar series f15 2048 ppr. and index pulse. It cost about $210.00. I only bought one. If it works I will get 2 more.

I did see a video, on the enc- users- request e-mail list , of someone using a standard fanuc encoder but I have no idea of how they did it.

The 8i20 takes a rotor angle and a current value from LinuxCNC. These numbers need to be calculated by the bldc HAL component.
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/bldc.9.html

Ideally bldc will use the encoder feedback to give smooth, sinusoidal commutation, but it can't do that without a startup position reference. It can get this in a number of ways.
If you look at the documentation above you will see that "bldc" can accept either conventional Hall signals, or the special 4-channel Fanuc system.

So, you should be able to use the original Fanuc encoders and save some money.

If the Fanuc encoders are not the 4-wire Gray-code commutation system then you may still be able to use them. Mesa have FPGA code that understands some of the Fanuc serial encoders, and I think it is possible to configure (with special firmware) a 7i74 board to hve 4 x Smart-Serial ports for the 8i20 and 4 x Fanuc Serial ports.

More
07 Mar 2014 01:11 #44508 by PCW
AFAIK there are at least 4 types of Fanuc encoders:

1. Incremental quadrature
2. Absolute quadrature
3. Incremental serial (Ai64 for example)
4. Absolute serial (Aa64,Aa1000 for example)

Type 1 is a standard quadrature encoder, the only non standard thing is that they use a 4 bit absolute position code instead of the more common 3 bit Hall signals

Type 2 is the same as type 1 except that it has a request pin that causes the encoder to send the absolute position (in quadrature) when pulsed (these require a backup battery to retain the absolute position information)

Type 3 is a serial encoder that sends absolute position as a serial bitstream when requested by the host.
the absolute position is volatile so lost when power is removed and so not valid until an index has been detected.

Type 4 is like type 3 but has the absolute position stored in battery backed memory so does not forget position when main power is removed. Surprisingly these encoders keep count on battery power even if moved when main power is off.

Both type 3 and type 4 encoder have a 10 bit absolute commutation track that does
not depend on main or battery power (its always valid)

I'm pretty sure all types can be supported but the interface hardware and firmware differs based on encoder type. Quadrature types use standard differential quadrature interfaces, serial types use a RS-422 interface (7I85,7I74 etc). The serial encoders need the FAbs firmware module and this is only supported in LinuxCNC master. As Andy mentioned, his BLDC comp can use the Fanuc type commutation signals
from the Fanuc quadrature encoders for commutation startup.

More
07 Mar 2014 03:48 #44511 by johns00056
I think that it would be way too complicated for me to try and use the Fanuc encoders. I can"t even figure out how to use the ini file that PCW kindly sent me, in another thread.

I did use one of Pico Systems Fanuc encoder converters to run one of the motors on the bench , But that was three years ago and it seems that I have forgotten everything that I learned about linux at that time.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds