PncConf in 2.6

More
04 Aug 2014 05:07 #49471 by akb1212
PncConf in 2.6 was created by akb1212
So.... 2.6 is finally released as the new version! B) Which is a good thing! It even have support for an up to date version of Linux.

BUT.... when I read through the "ToDo2.6" (wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Todo-2.6) list i found that the xml files for 5i25 is still in progress. Does that mean we still have to go through the process in Bogie640's thread to install them?
I tried to start Pncconf (without installing the files in the script) and it now had an option "5i25-Internal Data". I don't remember if that was there previously, but I'm able to choose amongst a very few basic configurations now. That is without doing any of the steps to install the XML-files I had to do previously.

I searched in the location where the files were supposed to be stored, but my install doesn't even have a 5i25 dir in the locating expected (/lib/firmware/hm2). But I do get the basic choices of configurations as I did previously.
I wanted to add a different XML-file, but when I don't know where the files are stored that is difficult. Where is the new location of storing these files used for configuring 5i25 cards?
And are the XML-files downloaded from the forums along with the *.bit and *.pin files the correct files for Pncconf? And if they are then why aren't they already included in the install?

I feel upgrading to 2.6 is taking a few steps backwards. But hopefully I will be able to take these and many more steps in the direct direction soon....
The supporting documentation and guides on how to do things in 2.6 are most certainly not up to date yet, but I assume that will be taken care of shortly.

Anders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2014 06:18 #49473 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic PncConf in 2.6
Hi Anders

Pncconf holds those basic XML files internally so they are always available.

Pncconf will still look in the firmware/hm2/ for XMLfiles just add the 5i25 and an XML file in it.
I can't guarantee a new XML file will work - but if it did before it should still.

I never have got action with adding 5i25 XMLs to the firmware repo - everyone who could do it seems to want to make it complicated.
and unfortunately Mesa's XML files are just a little different.....

I actually have a newer version of pncconf - but it never made it into 2.6.... still has a couple bugs and it seems it would be broken like stepconf is .... sigh :)

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds