7i43 + 7i47s, XML file

More
16 Mar 2015 23:22 #56893 by bigblue
Hi,

I'm planning to update my milling machine from software step-generation to a more sophisticated MESA-based closed-loop setup. I plan to get a 7i43 200k FPGA with a 7i47s, which should be fine for 3 (4 maybe later an A-axis will follow) steppers+encoders, a 0--10V output for the VFD and the limit switches.

After searching for days, I'm stuck now.
As I understand I have to put the firmware in the /lib/firmware/hm2/7i43 folder, together with a XML-file.
However, I found the BIN and PIN files only. Where can I get the XML-file from? Is there a generator out there?
As mentioned, I searched a lot but came up empty. So I apologize in advance if this is obvious to solve.

cheers
Niko

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2015 16:15 #56925 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic 7i43 + 7i47s, XML file
If you are buying new, the newer mesa boards are much more commonly used and probably have better community support. The cost difference is very small.

I'd probably go 5i25+7i76 if I was buying new.
I have a vague feeling that the ethernet based cards will become much more popular over time. the 7i76e looks like a great compact solution. However, they seem a bit more work at this stage.

More
17 Mar 2015 18:01 #56934 by bigblue
Replied by bigblue on topic 7i43 + 7i47s, XML file
Yes, I'm buying new and I checked the 5i25 + 7i76 combo, but from the manual of the 7i76 I don't see enough encoder inputs for a 4-axis closed-loop stepper configuration, or am I missing something here?

I'd really like to go the ethernet-route, because I don't feel happy about putting a PCI card in the PC, cause PCI will vanish from consumer-PCs soon. But, the 7i80HD is not available in Europe, or I'm too dumb to find a reseller.
Therefore, I opted for the parport version, because there are plenty PCIe-adapters around, and with the 50 pin daughtercard I feel a little more flexible to upgrade in the future, maybe to a ethernet or PCIe based system.

More
17 Mar 2015 20:25 #56943 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 7i43 + 7i47s, XML file

As I understand I have to put the firmware in the /lib/firmware/hm2/7i43 folder, together with a XML-file.
However, I found the BIN and PIN files only

The XML file is only used by Pncconf. If you are comfortable with creating a HAL file from scratch, or modifying an existing sample config, then you don't need it.

The BIT and PIN files are created by Mesa and are relevant to all applications. The XML files are LinuxCNC-specific so are not necessariliy always created.

However, you should find that if you either get the correct firmware package from the Synaptic package manager, or use "sudo apt-get install hostmot2-firmware-7i43-2" then you should get a package of BIT and XML files for the 200k 7i43.

It seems strange to buy a parallel port card because you are nervous of the disappearance of the PCI port. The 5-pin cards do allow for more mix-and-match, though, and you could perhaps look at the 5i24 and 6i24 as alternatives to the 7i43.

However I have a 7i43 on my mill/lathe and it is a perfectly good solution.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds