5i25 with 7i77

More
05 Mar 2019 02:08 #127746 by NauticalMachinest
Hey Guys,
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere but I am having a hard time figuring out what I need to do to configure these cards in the Pncconf Wizard. Much of the information I come across is from 6 or 7 years ago and I imagine things have changed since then. I have a fresh, updated version of LinuxCNC V2.7.14 loaded up on the computer. I have a brand new 5i25 and 7i77 plugged in and the jumpers in the correct position to provide 5v to the daughter card. My first problem I come across is when I try to run the Pncconf Wizard, I am missing the fields of information to select the card and PCI port number as shown in the photos. My second question at the moment regards firmware selection. I am only running one 7i77 but I do not see that as an option in the available firmware configurations, I see 7i77x2, 7i77x2 with one 7i77, but not a 1x 7i77 firmware config. Which firmware should I choose to run only one 7i77?

Is there a step/steps I have missed to cause these problems?
Any help is much appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2019 03:01 #127749 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 5i25 with 7i77
1. There is no need for a PCI port number/address
2. 7I77x2 with one 7I77 is the appropriate selection
The following user(s) said Thank You: NauticalMachinest

More
12 Mar 2019 12:04 #128424 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic 5i25 with 7i77
the first step is always the Hardest
and also as there is 2plugs on the 5i25 some struggle eve with there is only one external off

You will be shure Happy if it runs as you expected
keep going
there is a live channel that people are on to help you DIRECT on the mashine

More
19 Mar 2019 12:26 #128965 by srini
Replied by srini on topic 5i25 with 7i77
Hi, have you figured it out why the MESA card is not showing up on the frist screen. I have 5i25 with 7i76 and I am stuck too, any help would be good. thanks .

Srini

More
19 Mar 2019 18:32 #128986 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic 5i25 with 7i77
Which screen are you referring to?
Mesa card options are set on the /Mesa Card 0' page.
That should be about 6 'clicks' in (depending on options and versions)

Chris M

More
19 Mar 2019 18:47 #128988 by NauticalMachinest
Appreciate the help, the firmware configuration is a bit confusing at first glance, also when you go to assign analog +-10v for servo drives, the only option on the drop down menu is PWM, which is also a bit misleading but if you just ignore it and keep going you see it is actually configuring analog servos. I am having trouble getting the servos PID loop tuned in Pncconfig. If I use axis to configure my servos, will it effect my ability to open and edit the configuration in Pncconfig from then on?

More
19 Mar 2019 19:09 #128989 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic 5i25 with 7i77 Pncconfig
I recommend servo tuning in AXIS. Yes the tuning will be overwritten if you use pncconf again. (unless you take note of the changes in the INI from tuning and enter then in pncconf)

Pncconf gets the basics laid down then most people hand edit from there.

Chris M

More
28 Mar 2019 01:56 #129815 by NauticalMachinest
Replied by NauticalMachinest on topic 5i25 with 7i77
I sincerely appreciate everyone's help so far. I have two short videos with a quick question pertaining to each. I have my motors and encoders wired up to my 7i77 and am in the process of tuning the servos. Before I get started I noticed a few odd behaviors. Let me preface by saying that I have removed the belts from all the motors, they are not connected to the ballscrews, there is no concern for movement at the moment. That being said, when I enable the servo drives with a jumper, I have the drives zeroed so there is no drift, (I mean there is some degree of drift obviously but it is so minuscule that it is not discernable to the human eye). When I enable the drives through the 7i77 and linuxcnc under the Pncconfig wizard, all three of my axis motors begin to drift clockwise at a rate of about 1rpm as depicted in the first video. All three motors jog back and forth in each direction without any problem and appear to function correctly otherwise. Is this drift in Pncconfig a normal behavior?

My second odd behavioral question pertains to an anomaly that shows up when I try to enable the drives in the axis GUI. As you can see in the video below;

The drives enable for a fraction of a second during which time the X and Y axis begin to drift, at which point the system quickly disables the drives and gives me a joint 0 following error, which I assume is a natural response to the movement in X and Y as a safety measure. As you can see the X moves consistently in the positive direction while the Y moves back and forth between the two. Is this a common behavior for an untuned servo? I am curious if this is indicative of another issue. I am fairly confident I have all my wiring correct. I don't believe I can move forward with servo tuning in axis if I cannot enable the drives so I guess I am stuck at the moment. I have an analog oscilloscope at hand and was able to get Halscope to function when I played with it; is there any further data I should gather. I am going back to the shop this weekend, any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!

More
28 Mar 2019 02:22 #129816 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 5i25 with 7i77
A couple things:

1. Expect analog drives to drift somewhat if the loop is not closed
This should not be an issue since the drives should not be enabled
until linuxCNC is running and the position feedback loop is closed.
(actually getting the drive enables working is the first thing to do)

2. When you first connect the drives and enable feedback, you may have the feedback reversed so the drives runaway (till you get a following error)
You should follow setup/tuning instructions like JTs here:

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/tuning/servo.html

More
29 Mar 2019 01:40 #129874 by NauticalMachinest
Replied by NauticalMachinest on topic 5i25 with 7i77
Excellent! This is the first time I have seen that particular servo tuning tutorial. Something immediately jumps out to me, under Prepare to tune", bulletin point 4, John says "Verify feedback direction (expect runaways) you may have to change the sign of the analog outputs." Can you elaborate on what he means by "change the sign of the analog outputs." The first thing that comes to my mind is the +-10v analog output and the associated 0v com wire. I say this because when I began working on the machine in question (an H.H. Roberts TW-31-MV by the way) I noticed that it looked like the servo drives were wired in reverse. I have attached the drive connections PDF and also a closeup of the drives as they were originally wired. You can clearly see the +-10v red wire and the black 0v com wire are backward according to the connection diagram from the manufacturer. At first, I had just attributed this to a peculiarity with connections on the defunct Anilam controller. Might they have done this intentionally to allow compatibility with an unusual encoder orientation?
I am farmiliar with basic AC/DC circuitry having soldered together electronics kits since I was a child, I am however not familiar with industrial motion control yet, I recently finished with a computer integrated machining program at our community college and have begun working in the industry operating an EDM machine for a local tool and die maker. However, since taking on the project of retrofitting this machine, I have learned am very fascinated with the control behind a CNC machine and have decided to go back to school part time in the Mechatronics program so I can gain a much deeper understanding of everything involved with industrial motion control. Also, because if I want to get anything done at work, knowing how to operate the machines apparently isn't enough, you have to know how to diagnose and repair the damn things if you want to make regular progress with my current employer. But I want to again thank you all because I would not be on my current track without your help!!!
Attachments:

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds