need help with setup 7i76e

More
04 Nov 2020 23:54 #188353 by D.Ballew
Hey group I am new to the cnc world and have the mesa 7i76e board and I am using the stepperonline DM556y drivers (hopefully someone has used these drivers) with nema 23 425 oz motors I have the drivers and steppers wired up per the manuals. when I put power to the board I cannot turn shaft by hand they are in holding power. that is without linuxcnc even on. is that normal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2020 00:06 #188355 by BeagleBrainz
Yep to disable the steppers you need to have a signal at the enable input. ie the opto has to be on. Which is kind of the opposite of what most logic would dedicate.
This can be done manually via a switch if you want to disable the steppers, but you would need to turn the switch off before moving an axis or running gcode.
To be honest I leave the enable disconnected and not worry about it. As long as the steppers don't get too hot or you leave the machine on when not in use you should be ok. Barring any acts of Murphy and\or other gremlins. The gremlins that move tools & parts you put down don't interfere with cnc electrics in my experience. ;)

More
05 Nov 2020 12:28 #188389 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic need help with setup 7i76e

Hey group I am new to the cnc world and have the mesa 7i76e board and I am using the stepperonline DM556y drivers (hopefully someone has used these drivers) with nema 23 425 oz motors I have the drivers and steppers wired up per the manuals. when I put power to the board I cannot turn shaft by hand they are in holding power. that is without linuxcnc even on. is that normal?

Use an output and connect it to machine-is-on so when you turn on the machine in axis, you can enable the drives through that relay connected to the output.

In Axis it works. In gmocappy there is a bug that I don't think got fixed so you cant do this in gmocappy unless the bug was fixed.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds