Mesa bit file edit / creation

More
20 Dec 2020 07:18 - 20 Dec 2020 07:36 #192507 by robertspark
apologies, I didn't know where to put this thread as it doesn't fall under any of the linuxcnc headings, the closest being the one.

how difficult is it to create or edit a Mesa bit file?

I have (recently) purchased a 7i92H and was wondering about using one of my bobs that I have laying around from my days with an ethernet smooth stepper.

it uses a STANDARD LPT port configuration on one of the 26 pin ribbon connectors (so I can use a C11 bit file)

but on the other one it uses an ECP LPT port config (ie pins 2-7 are INPUT)

is it a case of loading the Xilinx software and being able to transpose some of the input pin settings to those which are / were outputs with a C11 (semi idiot proof).... or am I looking as extending my master's degree into programming?

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...-SMImLXpv_5rwGhXq4bz

....I wish my German was better.... but I can sort of follow along... (need to watch it on the big screen a few times)
Last edit: 20 Dec 2020 07:36 by robertspark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2020 12:35 #192524 by tommylight
No need, all unused pins will be normal IO if they are not used by stepgen or pwm or....
Example, the firmware has 4 stepgens on pins 2-9, but you need and load only 3 stepgens, that will leave the pins 8 and 9 that belong to stepgen 3 ( 4th stepgen) as normal IO, so they can be used as inputs or outputs, just set them in hal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

More
20 Dec 2020 15:03 #192544 by robertspark
thanks very much.

(all this looks complex coming from idiot proof constrained windows software.... take it or leave it). easy to make it more complex than it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Dec 2020 15:59 #192552 by tommylight
Still trying to avoid the "windoze" sink hole, but you keep mentioning it and insisting it is easier than Linux ...... :) :) :)
It is not by any stretch of imagination, it was for sure, but it is not for a long time now.
Linux and LinuxCNC are not the same thing.
I will shut up now ... chances of going of at a tangent getting higher. .. :)

More
20 Dec 2020 17:33 #192558 by robertspark
you have extensive use of terminal in both linuxcnc and linux

it is way more complex than drag and drop and right click edit etc

I have been using windows since 3.1 about 25 years now .... and I did start with Linux or attempt to with redhat and suse about 22 years ago.... and have been on and off it for years (much more off than on obviously)

but it's complexity is because you can do near anything with sufficient time and understanding . where as windows is again limited to what the developer will let you access.

More
21 Dec 2020 14:46 #192655 by Todd Zuercher
Windows still has a terminal (command prompt) as well. And there still are things that can only be done in Windows using it, but it is pathetically limited in it's capabilities compared to a terminal in Linux.

If your only experience with Linux was from 20 years ago. It has come a long way since then.

I was once a fan of MS and Windows before 95, which soured me greatly. (After that I switched to OS2 until I couldn't run it any more.) I liked XP and it won me back for a while, and 7 was ok, I can even tolerate Vista. But I loath Windows10 almost as much as 95. But not so much because it is bad, just very very annoying. It seems to have a special knack for wasting my time (not to mention installing the most time consuming updates at the most inconvenient times.).

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds