Unexpected Realtime Delay on task 0....

More
29 Sep 2021 14:34 #221835 by tommylight
Not sure what is going on but, from the start:
-what does uname-a in a terminal say?
-in BIOS, disable everything with hyperthreading, speed step, C states, power saving, virtualization, modem, serial, even sound helps sometimes, built in wifi, secure boot (pc might not boot so new install is needed).
Might have forgotten something ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2021 14:58 #221836 by mundele
I have...

Disabled all there is to disable in the bios.
I've set Isolcpus=1,2,3 (quad core pentium 3700).
C=1 (I think 1, whichever runs full blast all the time)
Disabled sound
Disabled everything I'm not using.
No Wifi
Secure Boot is unchecked in bios
I've disabled SMI via SMICTRL

I per the guy with the goat avatar, PCW, the histogram looks good.

uname -a returns:

Linux printnc 4.19.0-17-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.19.194-3 (2021-07-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux

More
29 Sep 2021 15:13 #221837 by mundele
i suppose I could find an ethernet USB dongle and disable the onboard Intel ethernet. this is a single board computer (NUC5PPYB I think) so no PCI slots or way to add otherwise.

Strongly considering a raspberry pi

More
29 Sep 2021 16:01 #221840 by tommylight
You need the eth port for Mesa, USB dongles do not work for that.
Can you please download the 2.7 version (Wheezy) of LinuxCNC and boot that PC from USB and run latency test for a while, without installing it?
I have a stinking suspicion something is wrong with the hardware, so if it by any chance has two memory modules, yank one out and test, then replace the memory and test again.
Might be the processor is getting to hot and throttling down, so opening the case and having a fan blow over it might help.

More
29 Sep 2021 16:12 #221841 by mundele
This has no case. it's in my electronics box. Will try 2.7. It's got only one memory module.

I get errors randomly, often just when it starts up, so I'd be shocked if it was a heat issue. It had been running for a couple hours. I rebooted, entered bios and the memory temp was 31C and motherboard was 36C

My gut says it's an ethernet issue.

More
29 Sep 2021 17:58 #221847 by mundele
Hanging on boot from USB. I think its expecting the ethernet adapter to be eth0 but it's enps02 or something like that. this is an intel board and intel ethernet adapter (onboard).

Not able to tinker at the moment... work.

More
29 Sep 2021 22:26 #221855 by mundele
Okay so I hesitate to post this... I don't want to jinx anything but I might have... just maybe... solved it.

I did some digging on the network adapter that's on the board. It is a RTL8111/8168/8411 Ethernet Controller. The driver that's part of Linux is r8169. I read that some folks had network problems with it. Connection dropped and etc. I confirmed I had that same version by running lsmod

I then confirmed I had the earlier version too with sudo apt show r8168-dkms . So I installed it with: sudo apt install r8168-dkms

It all went swimmingly til my /boot/ partition was full and the "initramfs" got corrupted. fortunately I sat that I had to fix it before rebooting so i went down that rabbit hole, which seems par for the course in Linux.

ANYWAY. I ran a couple GCode programs and have been watching it for a good while and I think/hope/wish I've got it solved.

Fingers will remain crossed.

More
29 Sep 2021 23:09 #221858 by mundele
Me again. sheesh. So I've been bitten by the "watchdog" twice now. Usually just after starting LinuxCNC.

Watchdog timer is 5000000 (5 million)

I notice now after reverting to the earlier driver that my ping times are worse pinging 10.10.10.10 (7i96 board). Getting about 1.18ms. Seems rock solid though, nothing lower than 1.17ms and nothing higher than 1.20ms.

halcmd show param *.tmax shows:

4338760 for ...read.tmax
3880520 for ... write.tmax
5483520 for ...servo-thread.tmax

not sure what units are on those. What can I do? tame the watchdog? make his timer longer?

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds