Strange voltage on Analog outputs (ssr).

More
06 Nov 2021 04:14 #225466 by Vladcronos
Hi guys, can anyone shed some light for me please. I hooked up analog output on my mesa 7i96 planning to use that to enable and disable stepper drivers, however, those pins give out no voltage at all. They definitely do trigger as I can see, and leds go on and off (yellow) which indicates that they should be working, however upon reading with multimeter, I can see several milivolta when leds are off, and 0.000 volts when they are on. Is there anything I am missing here or possibly in pncconfig? Or wiring? Board is hooked up to 5VDC in.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2021 04:48 #225467 by PCW
The 7I96 SSR outputs are just switches (on when the LED is on, off when not)

So if you have a 5V load, you would wire:

+5V --> OUTN+ --> OUTN- --> LOAD --> 5V_COMMON

More
06 Nov 2021 04:55 - 06 Nov 2021 05:04 #225469 by Vladcronos
Thank you, already figured this out. Either I am a noob or I dont understand why this board has such useless things and has no actual necessary SSR switches. These boards are used for CNC machines, what kind of tool are you gonna connect there that is less than 36VDC? I don't get a point. And wiring these is going to be a bloody mess now for no reason. I just needed a simple 5V signal to enable 3 drivers and disable them when I need that....  I mean the main point of this board is to control stepper drivers, every stepper driver has ENA pins and this board doesn't even have these basics, like seriously wtf... only in usa we have something that useless for over a $100 on a market. "buy and struggle".
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 05:04 by Vladcronos.

More
06 Nov 2021 05:11 - 06 Nov 2021 05:20 #225471 by PCW
The reason for the SSRs is that most control logic runs on 24VDC.
You can drive 24V (or 12V or 5V) sourcing or sinking loads with the SSRs
including external relays or contactors, 24V VFD inputs etc. They are also isolated
which means you can use different voltages and sourcing or sinking loads on each
switch (5V for a step drive enable 24V to drive a control relay, an isolated dry circuit
to control a plasma cutter etc etc)

As I mentioned, if you do have 5V signals like a step drive enables you can drive
them easily with one SSR output.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 05:20 by PCW.

More
06 Nov 2021 05:22 - 06 Nov 2021 05:27 #225472 by Vladcronos
Yes, I can, with million extra wires for no reason, but do I really have a choice now lol.. I don't. Gonna work with this half assed board, as I am way past return period anyways. Makes me sad how decades pass by, and DIY niche is still at the bottom in every possible way. Hardware, electronics.. everything is done so stupidly and nobody has any desire to innovate or pout any effort into any improvements (even so dead basic as SSR control outputs). Nobody makes good solutions for DIY. I used PoKeys board before actually, and it was pretty decent, the only problem there is that it works with windows and Mach3 or mach4 both of which are another disaster in software world. In mesa case, it is apparent that even a caveman could design a better and functionally more logical and richer board, let alone mesanet company, of course they can. But since there are nearly no competition nobody cares to invest into R&D as long as the board sells. It's just sad. And dont even get me started why this board only accepts 5V input, manufacturer probably saved $0.50 per board to limit end user to such ridiculous extent. Corporate greed is never-ending.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 05:27 by Vladcronos.

More
06 Nov 2021 05:30 #225473 by PCW
Wiring one 5V wire to a single SSR OUT+ pin gives you a switched
5V signal that will drive all three enables. This is pretty far from a million.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael

More
06 Nov 2021 05:37 #225474 by Michael
You can always design your own board and develop whatever it is you need. If it is indeed the DIY market you are seeking then I believe that stands for

Do It Yourself.....

More
06 Nov 2021 05:40 #225475 by Vladcronos
One wire per each output, 10 outputs. That wiring is going to be ridiculous. (And such design is just retarded to say the least. I have no idea what that board designer was even thinking, probably how to cut $0.50 on production.) For example I have a 110V compressor, spindle water-cooling pump.. 110V also obviously.., etc etc. And now I still need external SSRs of course rendering that board feature completely useless and adding 10 VIN wires for 10 outputs, where board VIN could and should have been used internally., and I will now need many output contacts on my 5VDC supply too, which only has one which is normal. Anyways, I do sound pretty upset lol, which is very accurate description of me now. Thanks a lot for your help and the info provided. Really appreciate you taking time to help!

More
06 Nov 2021 05:43 #225476 by Vladcronos
As a matter of fact I designed plenty of product myself already, some with world records in performance. I am just one man, and I can't do every thing in the world myself, you know? Maybe some of you, talented folks, can grow some self confidence finally and step in? I am elbows deep in commercial projects already and I am not an electronics engineer at this time.

More
06 Nov 2021 05:53 - 06 Nov 2021 05:56 #225477 by PCW
If VIN were common that prevents use for dry contact, mixed sinking and sourcing outputs
and mixed voltage sourcing uses (say if you needed 5V for a step drive enable and 24V
from a VFD to drive a VFD input)
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 05:56 by PCW.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds