7i76ED with limit switches

More
14 Oct 2022 16:22 #254121 by Jurre
Hi,I'm trying to setup the limit switches on my CNC machine. I've done the basic setup with the PnCConf wizard. I set the correct pins on the TB6 menu to the limit switches (One number lower than what mesa is calling them, pin 5 becomes pin 4 etc.). I've also tried inverting the limit switches but with no succes. The switches are working. When I hold a piece of metal in front of them the light turns of. I'm using PNP NC proximity switches. If I have it correctly I can use these without a pull-up. I am not sure if it has something to do with the fact I am using the 7i76ED instead of the 7i76E. I hope somebody can help. Attached are the .hal and .ini files. 

Jurre

File Attachment:

File Name: CNC_V7.hal
File Size:12 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: CNC_V7.ini
File Size:5 KB

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2022 17:14 #254123 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic 7i76ED with limit switches
New to LCNC, right?

BTW - the "ED" vs "E" affects the 7i76's outputs, not the inputs.  "E" sources the outputs, "ED" sinks the outputs.  "ED" lets you control relays, PLC's or other external components with different voltage requirements.  i.e. you can have a 12v relay coil, a 5v LED light, and a 24v PLC input all triggered by the same 7i76ED.

Do you know how to use halshow?  If not, this is the best way to troubleshoot I/O signals.

Just to recap... Assuming you're using inductive sensors with 3 wires.  Typical colors are:
Brown = V+
Blue = 0V
Black = signal

The fact that the sensor lights work is a good sign.

The next thing to check is voltages.  Are these 24v or 5v (or 12, or something else)?
What are you powering them with?
What is the field voltage set to on the Mesa?
Have you reviewed the '7i76 connection sheet' that's been posted on the forum a number of times?  

forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3191...ection-sheet?start=0

This would be a good place to start when reviewing the connections between power supply, 7i76, and sensors.

Have a look at the diagrams attached to the post above and double-check everything.  If you're still having trouble come back and we'll get you sorted out.

More
17 Oct 2022 08:12 #254313 by Jurre
Replied by Jurre on topic 7i76ED with limit switches
Yes, new to linuxcnc.

I have used the halshow. So far the circle stays red even when the switch is triggered. And yellow when inverted.

I believe my wiring is correct but I will check it tonight.

The switches are 24V and powered directly by a 24V psu.

I followed the '7i76 connection sheet' and that is also how I wired the power connections for the mesa board. I assume this is how you set the field voltage on the Mesa but I am not sure.

More
17 Oct 2022 10:00 #254322 by Jurre
Replied by Jurre on topic 7i76ED with limit switches
Alright, so I found the mistake, the limit switches and mesa didn't have a common ground. Got it al sorted now.

Thanks for the help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds